100Amp 1 wire Alt questions!! Please help!

Ny Mustang Guy

Founding Member
Dec 10, 2001
Queens Nyc
:SNSign: Alright... I just got a 100Amp 1 Wire alternator off a friend.. The ORIGINAL alt that I had in the car was a 3 post 61amp alt w/ external regulator. My Stock Alt had only a green wire w. stripe and red wire to the alt on it... My friend said if I want to I can connect that to the number 1 post (my alt has a rubber cap I can take off that has 2 posts on it)

My battery is relocated to the back.. and I have the wire going from the back of the car to the silinoid.

Questions I Have:
1. Do I put the Green wire to the number 1 post (using a female connector) like he said or can I not use it at all?
2. Can I run the power wire off the alternator to the silinoid at the same spot the battery wire is going to? (it worked last night when I did that perfectly)
3. My Alternator is shrieking like all hell.. He says its because it has been sitting for a cpl months and to spray it with wd40...and let it run and the shriek will go away.. is this true?
My Alt only works (*works damn well*) when there is a good engine to chassis ground...
4. should I ground the engine to the chassis (whats the best spot?) or ground the alternator (the alt has a spot in the back for a bolt for a ground) to the chassis? any diff? (I think either way the alt gets grounded..)

Thanks alot!:nice:

After this.. the next journey I have is to try to get autozone to take back the stock alt I just bought without the pulley on it LOL (I have a nice pulley on mine so i didnt want to give it away.. so i swapped pulleys off the new one to the old one.. then I got a hold of this 100amp alternator off my friend which didnt have a pulley.. thus now the new stock alt I have has no pulley:owned:)

• Sponsors (?)

if its a 1 wire alternator you dont need anything else hooked up to it. all you have to do i hook the power wire to it and start the car up and use a screw driver or something to excite the alternator. it will stay excited as long as the battery stays connected.