12V switchable for DCC control

tim281

Dec 18, 2005
Portland, OR
While trying to hook up my DCC controller to the coolant overflow tank for the 12V switchable, I probed the 3 wires and found that 2 of them had +12 when I unplugged the connector to check it??
Does this mean there is a short in the ground wire? Maybe it was a bad reading because i used the chassis as a ground instead of an ECM ground?

Thanks,
T

• Sponsors (?)

I will try that tomorrow. Do you think it could actually make a difference if the connector was plugged in? I can't see why that would change it but I am willing to give it a shot....I am curious about it now.

plugged in the connector and no change, two wires still have 12V and the other 0V.
the wire colors are:
Light Blue +12V
Black 0V
Red with Yellow Stripe +12V

The coolant overflow connector pigtail comes of the head light harness but none of the manuals or online schematics show these wires in the diagrahms. I am guess this circiut is so low priority that it is not documented. I bet the only way to really know for sure the wire designations would be to have a ford service manual.
One thing that might be a problem is that i have my intrument bezel out of the car so all the circuits for the lights are not plugged in?

Use the following at your own risk:

Looks to me like R/Y is the 12V feed.

LB should show ground if your sensor was dry or while the light proves-out when you turn the key on initially.

Saleen0679 can probably confirm this.

Thanks Hissin. I think you are right about the R/Y wire because I did find that on one schematic that was a switchable 12V to the head lights. I figured it must be this wire also so your suggestion seems to confirm my suspesion.
I am not sure why my Light Blue is 12V yet, but I guess I am not too concerned as long as I don't have a CEL on after I get this install finished:)

93clusterjx7.jpg