190 0r 255 fuel pump? Noise issues?

Philstang

Oct 28, 2004
I hope to be able to add H/C/I sometime this year on my coupe. I figure a larger fuel pump is in order. As far as noise and heating of the gas tank goes, which pump is better for a mostly street/ occasional strip car? The 190 or 255lph? If all works out I would hope to add a single turbo kit to the car in the future. Thanks for your help!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I installed a 190lph last year in my hb, but it's all-motor. The noise is minimal, nothing compared the whinning that the stock pump was making :notnice: . I would recommend a 255 for you, just because you might go forced induction... I regret not going with a 255, because I'm looking to supercharge mine in the future.

P.S. don't forget bigger injectors (depends on your setup)

yeah, if you even think you might have bigger plans, the 255 is the way to go, IMHO.

also people make a deal about the heating of fuel. based upon the numbers i have seen, this is basically a non-issue and really no issue at all unless you run the tank down to nothing (in which case, i would be more worried about all the sediment and crud being pumped) than fuel temps. as i often post, the issue with fuel temps is 'splitting hairs'.

good luck.

On the heating up (255lph for example)...I have only got the "overheating" problem from their instrutions with the pump. I believe it says or suggests not to run the tank lower than a certain amount (1/8th of a tank) to prevent this from possibly happening. Either way fuel pumps are cheap and I went with a Walbro 190lph fuel pump and it is not audible except for the priming...of course I have aftermarket exhaust. It was quieter than my stock pump...

If your going with a turbo I would get the 255lph fuel pump...if not just stick with the 190lph fuel pump...

Good Luck with the turbo setup:nice:

I would put the 255 in anything. look at it this way, you only have to do it once and don't have to worry about upgradig down the road.

I have had a few cars with big feul pumps and my friend old gt vert' had a 255. you just get used to it, and after a while you might begin to think it sounds cool :rolleyes: . I like the feul pump whine.

one bad case though, on my old T/A I gutten the interior, and if you know how they are set up, the tank is in the hump right behind the rear seat. about a week after I gutted the interior on that car the echo of the whine in that car was so bad I think I became def to whatever frequency that is. becouse I couldn't hear it anymore after a while :(

the matter of the pump overheating though, all electric feul pumps are cooled by the feul that they pump. in the case of the in tank one it is also cooled by the feul around it. one easy way to kill an electric feul pump is to run the car out of gas a few times and continue trying to drive it low on gas all the time.

Walbro is the OEM supplier (it is what many of the pumps actually are though the box may say otherwise).

I have been reading that the 255's make noise (or more in comparison to the 155's and 190's I see that post). My 190lph is silent...

Yeah your not suggested to run low on gas with the pumps (because you lose the "surrounding fuel")...supposedly...

A 255lph will be your best bet since your going with a power adder...

Philstang said:
Alright, I am settled on the 255. So... what brands do you guys recommend -Walbro, Aeromotive, Brother's Performance ???? What else?
Holley is another that i can think of real quick. were it me (and I am NOT well versed in all the nuances of the various pumps out there for EFI 302's), i would go with the ol' Walbro. most folks like them - that works for me. :)

Keep in mind that the stock fuel lines will limit what you can get out of your pump. You will have to upgrade your fuel lines to something bigger to get a net lph over 150lph. 255 is very large, and by the time you need that sort of fuel flow, you will probably be using a fuel cell anyways. 155lph is a good standard choice for h/c/i, but I am not against the idea of getting a 190lph just to be sure that you are indeed using the maximum you can get out of your fuel lines. Sometimes the pumps flow less at times than the advertised max flow. Just plan on spending an extra $20 for the 190 over the 155.

Stormwalker said:
Keep in mind that the stock fuel lines will limit what you can get out of your pump. You will have to upgrade your fuel lines to something bigger to get a net lph over 150lph. 255 is very large, and by the time you need that sort of fuel flow, you will probably be using a fuel cell anyways. 155lph is a good standard choice for h/c/i, but I am not against the idea of getting a 190lph just to be sure that you are indeed using the maximum you can get out of your fuel lines. Sometimes the pumps flow less at times than the advertised max flow. Just plan on spending an extra $20 for the 190 over the 155.

The stock fuel lines support up to 5-600hp...no need to upgrade those at all. If he is going with a poweradder he will want the 255lph fuel pump. Along with an inline pump probably...

exactly. often guys with huge power have added a decent amount more pressure through the lines than stock.

now the line size and volume plays a much larger role on carbed set-ups, where one cant bump pressure up much.