1960 Falcon build....

65coupe408w

Mar 26, 2010
So I picked this 1960 Falcon 2 dr sedan up for $600

It has been sitting for the past ten years, the previous owner only drove it one time (the noticed the thermostat housing was leaking, ended up stripping the thread in the block, re tapped it and proceeded to strip that, the car never moved again)

On the bright side the car came with a 200ci short block that needed to be re-assembled, fully rebuilt head, and a replacement part for everything that is broken on the car.

Anyway...I will do my best to document my build on this. Hopefully my Mustang wont get to jealous that I am not paying her as much attention...Enjoy!

here is a picture of the car when I got it towed to my house...
View attachment 218375

stripped the paint off the spare 200ci...block was really clean no scoring on any of the cylinder bores and all the journals looked great
View attachment 218376

hit it with some primer...
View attachment 218377

then some paint...
View attachment 218378

new cam bearings and cleaned up an reinstalled cam...(car is going to be all stock, looking for a cruiser)
View attachment 218379

polished all the journals on the crank...
View attachment 218380

crank in place ready to check clearances with some plastigage
View attachment 218381

everything checked out...crank back in its home
View attachment 218382

new timing set installed...
View attachment 218383

timing cover back on....
View attachment 218384

pistons ready for a trial fit...
View attachment 218385

• Sponsors (?)

So I ran into an issue with the rod bearings...when I got the car it came with all new bearings for the motor. I was told the crank was machined .010/.020 so I went ahead and check clearances of the rod bearings with plastigage and they were way out! So i did some more research and found that the rod bearings are actually .010 not .020 so I am waiting on some other bearings to come in....

That said my roommate and I went ahead and pulled the motor and trans out of the car.

out she comes....
View attachment 218372

the screwed up old motor (also a 200) and a 2spd ford-o-matic...
View attachment 218373

I went ahead and tore the rest of the engine bay down so I can prep it for paint...
View attachment 218374

This is where I am for now...not bad for a weekends work! hopefully I can keep this pace up and get the car moving before long...

Thats a neat project. I really like Falcons.

It would have originally came with a 170 correct? The 200 is a better engine. So like StangDreamin said, thats a good upgrade.

I don't know if your keeping it mostly stock or not, but Clifford Performance has some cool I6 parts.

This site may also be helpful. http://fordsix.com/

Haha thanks for the input guys!

Originally the car would have come with a 144ci solid lifter I6 with 4 main bearings. The 200ci Is a huge improvement over that!

The chrome trim is hiding the B pillar...I wish it was pillarless! But for $600 you can't complain haha.

For now I just want to get the car up and running and enjoy it. I dont want my Mustang to get jealous!

Nice! :nice: I see the shortblock is a 7-bearing motor; if the engine in the car was the original, it should have been a five bearing - so that's a good reliability upgrade right there.

the original engine would have been a four main bearing 144.

by the way i do hope you are going to dump the 2spd ford o matic in favor of a C4 at least, better a T5.

My Mom bought a new Falcon wagon in 1960 with the 144 2-speed combo. Car was a joke when it came to going up hills! My Dad replaced it with a '62 Chevy wagon a couple of years later.

the original engine would have been a four main bearing 144.

by the way i do hope you are going to dump the 2spd ford o matic in favor of a C4 at least, better a T5.

I actually do have a C4 crossmember for the car...but from what I have read they do not fit in the 60' If anyone has any input please let me know!

Ok so a quick update...managed to get all the pistons in today. I was really hoping to get the oil pump and pan installed also but I got the wrong oil pump so I have to wait for the new one to come in. Anyway, the motor is coming along quite well.

Pistons with all the rings installed
View attachment 217972

everything buttoned up nicely on the bottom end
View attachment 217973

all the slugs in place for good
View attachment 217974

quick update on my progress...and lots of pictures.

View attachment 210881

View attachment 210882

View attachment 210883

View attachment 210884

View attachment 210885

View attachment 210886

Car catching some late afternoon sun:
View attachment 210887

My girlfriend helping with the install:
View attachment 210888

In she goes:
View attachment 210889