1965 Door Tag and fender numbers do not match

JAFHR

Sep 28, 2020
Redmond Oregon
Hey guys, I'm looking at a 65 Fastback for purchase and noticed two different numbers on the door tag and Drivers fender. Not only were they different, the fender numbers seem odd. It appears to be 5 R O / C 233093 . The / is very much / as apposed to T because its slanted. The door tag 5 R O T 160919

So What is this car. I appreciate your help as I'll be making a decision on it this week.

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

The door tag actually seems to be correct. It decoded to what the car looks like and it says it's a fastback. The fender number when type in a 7 instead of a / comes up with a coupe. I'll have to check with the owner on his title. What VIN does he show. Not sure where the other numbers are on the rear fender apron. Is it the same on a 66 and 65? I can look on my 66 to determine the location prior to going any further

I think they are in the same place for 65 and 66, Door tag(thought that is warranty number), front driver side apron, rear passenger side apron, and supposedly somewhere on the radiator support....but hard to tell since my original radiator support was never there, had been replaced.

Ok, so what is a Warranty number used for other than warranty. I was under the impression that it is also the VIN numbers. Although I also understand most of them are missing in time as guys take them off for paint and they forget to put back on. So if I go off the fender numbers, that indicates the car is a coupe. I'm new to Mustangs so I am pretty confused now.

The warranty number has an extra digit over the vin number(VIN+1 extra digit somewhere in there), not sure other than that.

If the car in question is a San Jose fastback it "should" read 5R09C(v8) or 5R09T(I6).

This is what I have. the fender numbers and the door tag. As you can see, they are completely different. The door tag resembles the car. The fender numbers are decoded to a coupe. Without seeing the title and see the VIN number I can only assume the front fender, front end etc may have been changed out.

Attachments

• IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    710.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    711.9 KB · Views: 90
That is definitely a 7, not a / or a 9. This means one of a few things:

1. The front apron was changed out with one belonging to a coupe(this seems very unlikely since it would be far easier to replace with a new piece...even back when you could still get the parts through Ford directly. It would be unlikely someone is going to use a used panel to repair accident or rust damage...but possible)

2. This car is a coupe-to-fastback conversion and is using the door tag from the fastback(also seems fairly unlikely, not too many floating around)

3. There is something nefarious with the car(IE stolen, chop-shop, etc)

Whichever the case, it merits further investigation before purchase.

1. Check underneath the front fender...see if the area with the coupe VIN shows any sign of being welded in from underneath.(unlikely, but worth checking)
2. Is this a 4 lug or 5 lug car? Its a possible indication of which is the correct VIN(but also not a sure thing since suspension can be changed out easily)
3. Check the other VIN on the passenger side rear apron(its usually harder to see and far less likely to have been tampered with in the case of funny business)
4. Climb under the car and see if it has factory dual exhaust hangars....which is an indication of a v8 car(better to check under the rear seat for the reinforcement plates...but not something most sellers would let you do.)

To be sure, there is some type of discrepancy here, but without that 3rd VIN its hard to tell for sure what the case is. Maybe you are right, maybe whoever "replaced" the front fender apron just wanted to use original metal, but what you are really looking for is any sign of a factory v8 car vs the I6 the door tag says it is

The owner pulled up his title on the car and it confirmed the numbers on the door tag. The door tag pretty much correlates with what the car is other than the V8 conversion plus new suspension with 5 lugs. One issue that has not been addressed is that both front tires are wearing big time on the inner side. This may be due to alignment and an easy fix or one caused by the inner apron changed out. Nevertheless, the car is an original T and to me already having one to do a complete change, I don't think I need to tackle one with issues. Especially at the price that I'll be getting it for. Thanks for your help. I'm walking on this one and I'll work with this one.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 83