1965 mustang 289 swap for 351

harrisonkjones

May 16, 2010
Hi,

I purchased a 1965 Mustang Coupe last summer and am wanting to swap out the 289 in it for a 351. It has the factory C4 transmission in it, which runs great. However, I have heard conflicting things with regards to this swap. I know that there are a few things that will need replaced with this swap, such as swap headers, radiator, 1966 motor mounts, and I'm sure there are a few other things that I don't know about. I have read conflicting reports on whether the c4 will bolt up to a 351 windsor, is there a certain year of blocks that will bolt up or not? Also forgive me because I am completely new to engine work, but am very eager to learn. I also have a good friend that will help with most of the work I will be doing unfortuantely he works primarily on Chevys. So I was just wondering the basics about the swap. Any and all help would greatly be appreciated, I'm not trying to build the car for the strip, just want a nice streetable engine putting out around 350 hp, and around that in torque if thats possible with the c4. Also I'm open to suggestions on whether to buy a crate engine or one thats for sale elsewhere that I can build up. I'm not trying to throw money away and would like to do it as affordable as possible.

p.s. I am looking at this engine as a possibility,
1973 Ford 351 Windsor 375 Hp
Is this a good deal if I can get receipts for the machine work? It doesn't come with a distributor or air filter, but it has a brand new alternator that will come with it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

For the 351 swap, I recommend RMP adjustable motor mounts. The make it alot easier and they are very well made. They also offer some that lower the engine slightly to help fit the 351.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com...e=rmp&Product_Code=6110&Category_Code=Hot_New

Why not also do and AOD swap? I did an OD trans swap on mine, I think everyone should do it. It makes the car so much nicer to drive and lets the engine relax on the highway.