Progress Thread 1965 Mustang A-code coupe restoration/build thread

• Sponsors (?)

Doing Tri-Y headers to an X-pipe, back to single chamber mufflers with 2.5” pipe. Probably way overkill for a mild 289, but it needs to be heard

Any clearance issues with your tri-y's? What brand did you go with? Having issues with my '70 302 with power steering, idler arm hits halfway through a right turn, not even a close fit. Trying to figure out a solution. Love the build, definitely gonna steal that disk brake idea! Thanks - Joe

So far the Tri-Ys seem to fit OK. I used an eBay brand header, but they appear to be fairly well built. The only fitment issue I have is that the driver side collector points straight at the trans crossmember, so I'm having to find a work-around there.

Thanks for checking out the video!

Sean

I hear ya, mine are angled right into the trans kick down lever, one of the housing bolts and the idler arm... gonna swap for a set of shorty's, these just need too much adjustment for my time/skill level/wallet.

For over a year now, I've been working hard on the 65 coupe build, and now I finally get to make some noise! Since working on the Thunderbird project for the last few months, the Mustang has taken a back seat. But in order to finish the brake system, I needed to run the exhaust out the back.

Starting with stainless Tri-Y headers, the exhaust gases flow through 2.5" pipe to an X-pipe, back to single chamber mufflers and finally exit the rear of the car. It should sound super spicy when done and cammed!

Now, the engine has run before, but never with the new exhaust! Hopefully it'll be ready for it's first test drive in a long time very soon.

Sean

View: https://youtu.be/TFdycpmghtY

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users