1965 mustang custom rear suspension

scottspence9

Aug 16, 2006
Im trying to build a custom 4 link for my 65 fastback and i need a measurement from the axle centerline to the center of the front leaf spring bolt. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Custom 4 link measurements

I have fabbed many 4 link and ladder bar suspensions (my 66 has a custom ladder bar under bags with a panhard bar). IMHO there are 2 schools of thought, if you already have the driveshaft you are planning to use, set the rear end on a pair of jack stands, with a jack under the 3rd member. MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE, go get a coke and come back and MEASURE again. Did I mention you need to MEASURE? With the drive shaft installed between the front yoke and rear yoke, center the rear end, the jack not only holds up the 3rd member allowing for a measurement, but also allows you to set the pinion angle correctly, which will remove any chance of "things changing". The second option is to use a plumb bob to determine the center of the wheel wells and measure from there. I have found that both ways when done correctly, will yield great results. The plumb bob is easier, but ( and I just don't remember on Mustangs) some cars actually do not center the rear wheels in the wheel wells, if you have the driveshaft already, this could cause problems in driveshaft length. A pair of plumb bobs (big nuts with a string) can really help center the rear end from side to side also.