1965 Seat Recliner Repair

eggsmartha

Apr 11, 2003
The seat recliner adjustment on my '65 convertible broke. The insert in the seat frame into which the adjusting bolt goes came loose from the seat. I pulled the bolt and threaded insert out from the bottom of the seatback. It looks like it was originally tack welded into place. Has anyone repaired this and can tell me the best way to reattach it? To tack it back I would need to remove all the batting and upholstery from the seat, not something I want to do. I removed the seat back, and it looks like I can remove a few of the hog rings and pull back the upholstery on the seatback to get access the bottom of the frame where the insert should be reattached.

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Sponsors (?)

If you dont want to weld it...your only other real option is to use pop-rivets in the place of the spot welds(would still require some drilling). Spot welding you could probably manage without setting anything on fire...if you can get access to just that much metal, hard to tell without seeing the seat.

Thanks. I’m considering that, just wondering if the rivets will hold. If not then I can alsways full in the holes with my mig. Will probably need to take the seat down to the frame for that.