1966 Coupe Brake Job

Emberglo

Sep 10, 2013
Hello, I have a mechanic who is restoring my mother's 1966 Mustang. He has suggested that I consider doing a conversion from 4-Piston Drum to Disc Brake.
Please share any thoughts and recommendations about this to help me and my mother make a good choice, i.e. safety vs. originality...
Stainless Steel Brakes A120D
Front 4-Piston Drum to Disc Brake Conversion Kit
Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

converting to front disc brakes from drums is always a good idea, as you get better and more consistent stopping power. and the conversion to a dual bowl master cylinder is also an excellent idea.

It's a no brainer. Upgrade to discs if you possibly can. Unless you are building strictly a show pony safety trumps originality every time. My advice is to shop selectively for your conversion kit. They aren't all the same. I was able to find a power disc kit with slotted rotors, 4 piston calipers, dual bowl master cylinder, proportioning valve, hoses and the works for around $900. Some non power kits cost that much. I not sure about the rules here for linking and such but if you want to pm me ill be glad to tell you where I got it.