1966 Coupe - Looking for Radio Advice

sparx

Sep 2, 2009
Well it took about 7 months of family issues and health issues to pass but I am finally pounding on my 66 coupe again.
:D

I have almost completed the installation of the radio cut out filler plate (with my personal mods and touch) and I want to get a radio for my car. It sure takes some effort and time to replace what someone cut away in about 10 minutes! :eek:

Of course I am going for the original look, but I think getting a modern radio is what I prefer, one that could have a cd option since radio broadcasts these days, well... suck!

I browsed at Ebay and read on one CJ Poney sells for over $200.00. I think I will place two speakers on the rear deck, (unless there is a better way) as we did as kids back in the 60's and attempt to place two speakers somewhere up front.

Keep in mind I am not going for earthshaking bass as some of the young folks do, I am attempting to preserve the hearing I have left and will need for about 20 more years.

If you went with a new retro looking radio please post your experiences.
TIA
Sparx

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you'll get a lot of conflicting opinion here, so stand by, but I've worked on a number of these, a visual duplicate of the 66 AM/FM, never had a failure. Best hookup is with a 4x10 dual voice coil front, and 6x9 dual voice coil rear (under a repro rear speaker grille) with both left channels routed to the front, and both right channels to the rear. Remote CD changer in the trunk.

USA-66.jpg

They're around, I know Glazier Nolan stocks them.

The speaker setup I suggested is "old school". Back in the day most radios were single-speaker, and if there was a rear speaker, or in rare cases a rear speaker reverb, you'd get excellent sound for the time. Then stereo came along, and speakers were placed left/right. Of course, doors, or kick panels are closer together than the dash and package tray, so with the earlier style layout you actually get better separation. It also doesn't hurt that the completed installation looks completely factory, and doesn't require sawing any holes in your car.

C5ZZ-18798-A.jpg

Another option is no radio.

I've been looking into building a super fast classic mini, and my idea is to just have an ipod running to an amp powering two speakers. Good, cheap and won't annoy the purists.

ipod $200 (but I bet you already have one)
Speakers $60 (perhaps with grilles mentioned above)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC1693/Kenwood-KFC-1693PS.html?tp=95&avf=N
Amp $60
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KSA3002/JVC-KS-AX3002.html?tp=115
Wiring $20 from amazon (3mm to rca, cigerette lighter, switch and amp wiring)

So $140-340 all done.

No I am an old bugger, no Ipod!
To prove it I recall the 4-Track tape player, came out before the 8 track!
Of course I also recall when there were NO tape players period.

Remember when FM was a treat to have in a car?

Yes! Helped my Dad install the FM converter on the 68 Olds 88. The car was our first with a/c and it had that monster 455 V8.

I got to wash it and clean the interior so he would let me use the 62 Chevy Belaire, if I washed it and cleaned the interior! LOL!

I put an under dash Panasonic cassette FM unit that was a removable in the Chevy. I could run it on batteries outside the car or off an adapter, that was my first cassette unit. Before that it had an 8 track player. I wish I would have saved some of those units, just for conversation.

I would gladly do it all over again. :nice:

So Pete what radio you got in the Mustang?
I also need to find out what exhaust system to install to get the 60's note. I have a 302 roller cam with mild cam, brand new going in my car.

sparx

Well it took about 7 months of family issues and health issues to pass but I am finally pounding on my 66 coupe again.
:D

I have almost completed the installation of the radio cut out filler plate (with my personal mods and touch) and I want to get a radio for my car. It sure takes some effort and time to replace what someone cut away in about 10 minutes! :eek:

Of course I am going for the original look, but I think getting a modern radio is what I prefer, one that could have a cd option since radio broadcasts these days, well... suck!

I browsed at Ebay and read on one CJ Poney sells for over $200.00. I think I will place two speakers on the rear deck, (unless there is a better way) as we did as kids back in the 60's and attempt to place two speakers somewhere up front.

Keep in mind I am not going for earthshaking bass as some of the young folks do, I am attempting to preserve the hearing I have left and will need for about 20 more years.

If you went with a new retro looking radio please post your experiences.
TIA
Sparx

HI,

I can offer you a great deal on a Custom AutoSound hidden radio with CD changer, complete w/OEM instructions etc. PM, if interested.

My brother put one of those Custom Autosound USA6 radios in his fastback.
It's nice to look at, but it doesn't work, it was BARELY used. I've heard a lot of similar complaints about the lifespan of CAS radios, I won't be going that route if I decide to drop my DIN radio

HI,

I can offer you a great deal on a Custom AutoSound hidden radio with CD changer, complete w/OEM instructions etc. PM, if interested.

I will now offer, you can have your OEM radio upgraded to include front and rear Fader and side to side Balance abilities. Also, you'll have full FM capability with 140Ws. Thrown in there, is a MP3 port. but, it sounds like you may not be interested in that part. Doing this upgrade, you get to keep your OEM looking radio.

My brother put one of those Custom Autosound USA6 radios in his fastback.
It's nice to look at, but it doesn't work, it was BARELY used. I've heard a lot of similar complaints about the lifespan of CAS radios, I won't be going that route if I decide to drop my DIN radio

I hear this a lot on the internet, but the Mustang shop near here has had very little trouble with Custom Autosound radios. Doesn't mean there isn't something better, though.

That old school reverb stystem is pretty cool.

I have heard some people speak badly of those units too. What other retro style units are there? Also, I still don't see how the display on that one works.

That old school reverb stystem is pretty cool.

I have heard some people speak badly of those units too. What other retro style units are there? Also, I still don't see how the display on that one works.

As I recall from those days, these were an integration to the radio system, not something with a display. It was more acoustical in nature with a stadium concert sound dimension.

As I recall from those days, these were an integration to the radio system, not something with a display. It was more acoustical in nature with a stadium concert sound dimension.

Thats kinda what I thought it was. It was a neat idea. I guess thats what the Mach 460 or Mach 500 stereo system was back then.

My last post made more sense when I was typing it. It was supposed to be two separate statements. The second about the retro radios.