1966 Mustang 2bbl, 289, C4 disk brake conversion

dmzenge

Mar 12, 2018
Is a brake pedal change required in order to make an SSBC drum to disk conversion with power disk brakes work properly? After much bench and caliper bleeding, still can't get much front braking effort before pedal runs out of stroke. dmzenge

• Sponsors (?)

Pedal is the same except for the rubber pad saying disk brakes. You may just need to adjust the rod between the master and the booster, also check that the caliper bleeders are at the high point of the caliper if they are swapable side to side and that the wheel cylinders in the rear are right way up, or bleeder highest . On my 65 mustang you cannot have power brakes with disks, if running stock 65 ford equipment, as the larger disk brake master will not clear the shock tower with the stock booster. What stuff do you have?

The car is a 1966 Mustang convertible, 289 2-bbI & C4 automatic. I installed the SSBC kit with front disk brakes, power booster and dual M/C in 2012. I'm on my third M/C (only one was actually defective) and all SSBC techs tell me is to keep bench bleeding. Done that many times, still no brakes. I can develop 1200 psi at the M/C port for the front disks, but not much braking effort when I stomp on the pedal hard. Just feels like the piston or the pedal is bottoming out with a hard, metallic feel. ?? Denney