_nc_ohc=SA6KwKdvAFgAX_-k44u&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=RNPwN85LOD0AX9LA1Os&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=eQDQZfa6R5gAX-fEcOq&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=QJg0LE2u8v8AX-xYlUg&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

And the finalized design, ready for upholstery:

_nc_ohc=INbXFTHb1d0AX8nYQhy&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=XQ2zagbXRUkAX9YLDve&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg
20210404_125700-1-jpg.jpg

I decided to go practical with the console build here...went with a courtesy light cutout at the back for the rear seat area(which coupes didn't come with as far as I know...at least I don't remember courtesy lights in the back in my last driving coupe). Of course the mandatory cubby hole under the armrest(which I made out of wood because I like a console lid with some actual weight to it, would have been more work out of fiberglass when its just going to be wrapped anyway). Directly in front of that is the shifter hole...which follows the same taper as the console itself(bad angle to show the taper) simply because its visually pleasing, even though it makes it so I must now make a custom trim ring and shifter boot. Then of course the 2 cup holders(which are actually aggravating since I only have 2" depth to work with there so none of the drop-in cup holders will work except the very shallowest, I would get rid of the cup holders entirely if that area wasn't just a huge expanse of nothing without them...besides, always good to have cup holders, even if I have to make or modify the cups myself) And finally the 2 gauge holes...initially I went with 3, but it just took up too much space and I couldn't find an excuse to run an oil temp, pyrometer, or fuel pressure gauge. As it is, I have 6 in the dash and 1 in the ash tray...these 2 are slated for Vac/Boost(looking to the future) and clock. Also...with 3 gauges I am unable to change my mind later and turn these into AC vents....I can do that with 2. The notch at the top front is actually to clear the drop-down ash-tray AFR gauge.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors(?)

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Very nice! It looks more period-correct to me than the aftermarket consoles out there.

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
Very nice! It looks more period-correct to me than the aftermarket consoles out there.
Thanks, that is what I was aiming for. A low console height like the OEM ones, but tapered like the later consoles, the two gauges are are sorta nod to the later shelby consoles, the angle at the back I pretty much just copied from my '73 Capri console I have on the shelf. To be honest I didn't want a console at all, but choosing to graft in the '05 trans tunnel forced my hand there...had to make some effort to detract from that eyesore. I am actually shocked the E-brake fits without interfering with the console...the E-brake is from a 2018 Mustang...but I think I am going to have to swap to one from an 05-10 or from a 10-14 instead, this one just sits too high.

Reactions: 1 user

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
20210427_191720-1-jpg.jpg

Finished the console, aside from a few small details, covered in vinyl I stitched together , then trimmed out the edges with some aluminum angle...the edges are a little more square than I would like, but my trim options were limited. Not completely happy with everything, but its workable for the time being, can always re-visit it later on.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
I'm just glad you didn't go with a newer cup holder console. Those things look way too out of place in our cars.

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
_nc_ohc=3XGlwbCIvA0AX_KywbK&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=kboVVpVhmbsAX8DYoK3&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

All the pieces are complete here....but I do need to take the time to pull it apart, clear coat the switch plate(its just regular old "brushed" steel), paint the cubby and cover the cubby interior with something(vinyl, felt, whatever I find down at the hobby store than I like). I think the shift boot came out pretty good for a second try(first try fell apart when I tried to double-stitch the seams in a contrasting silver thread...evidently sewing machines don't like it when your 2nd spool of thread stops turning because the thread gets caught on the spindle...really messes up a double stitch). The boot surround I just fabbed up out of some 1/8" bar stock I had laying around, decided to paint it black because there is plenty of contrast already.

I also still have to wire up all the switches, gauges, USB and power ports(hidden inside the armrest cubby) and the courtesy light at the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users