1966 Mustang Coupe Restoration

js66coupe

May 10, 2009
Florida
Thought I'd give a quick fyi on how my 66 coupe is coming along. I've owned this car since 1981. It was my 1st car that my father got for me when I was in high school. The car is a 66 coupe, 289 4v, pony interior, with A/C, power steering, power brakes, factory limited slip, AM/8-track.

Long story short, finally got the car in a shop this year to do a resto-mod type upgrade. Wanted a car that would perform like a newer car yet retain the classic look.

Since the front end was in pretty bad shape structurally, we decided to do a Fat Man Fab Power Suspension module for the front end. This kit is pretty cool. It's got a tubular structure, sheet steel inner fenders and front panels, power rack and pinion, shaft for steering connection, sway bar, coilover conversion, struts, spindles, Wilwood 12” brakes, shocktower and cowl brace system, and mounts for Windsor or Mod motors.

By the way, I'll be doing a 351W stroker and AOD as part of this project. The front end makes the 351W a no-brainer since the engine bay is much larger than factory since the inner shock towers are eliminated.

We're also doing the 4-bar kit for the rear suspension. The kit has QA-1 billet adjustable coilovers in the rear to match the front end.

Attached are some pictures of the progress. Still a long way to go on this project though.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMGP1243.jpg
    IMGP1243.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMGP1253_2.jpg
    IMGP1253_2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Sponsors (?)

Thats awesome. Looks like a great project. I look forward to seeing its progress. Keep updating this thread so we can follow along.

I did about the same thing to my 65. My Dad got it for me in high school too. It was originally an I6 3 speed car. It now sports a 302 T5 9 inch setup. Mine sat for about 10 years in the garage.

Thanks for the comments. Similar situation here. Car sat in garage for 10+ years. I was lucky to get it started and running to pull it on to the trailer to haul to the shop.

Any way, next step is some new floor pieces, new trunk floor, new quarters.