1966 mustang research questions

bsmustang66

Mar 14, 2022
Michigan
Hi, new to this forum and in need of information. I have owned a 66 mustang convertible for years and have tried to research the options that on the car. Car is an A code, bench seat convertible with GT equipment. I understand there was a GT equipment group available, however mine does not have the racing stripes and has the lower rocker panel molding and no GT filler cap. Items on the car include dual trumpet exhaust, fog lights with grille bars and rally-pac. The car was built in San Jose in November 1966 and I understand through some research, that California dealers would add GT equipment and then sell them. Looking a possibly selling the car and any information would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Post some pictures
If it has the exhaust coming out the rear valence panel it is GT enough
As far as research I would pay Marti if it's worth it to you
As far as dealer installed options, The cali specials sure were a dealer install I think
I would think a GT would not be a dealer installed option because of the exhaust going through the painted rear valence
Are you sure it has original paint meaning someone may have sanded the stripes away?
Sounds real nice either way

1st easy clue to look for, pull up the back seat, if it has dual exhaust reinforcement plates(original) then its a point in its favor:

FM110207.jpg

True GTs also have rear frame rail crush sleeves:

rear-frame-rail-top-passenger-jpg.315818

mustang-dual-exhaust-frame-rail-jpg.315794

Crush sleeves are a lot more difficult to check for...at the very least you need to remove the plug underneath and probe around with a wire to count of they are all there. Crush sleeves(again if original) are a sure sign of a true GT.

Post some pictures
If it has the exhaust coming out the rear valence panel it is GT enough
As far as research I would pay Marti if it's worth it to you
As far as dealer installed options, The cali specials sure were a dealer install I think
I would think a GT would not be a dealer installed option because of the exhaust going through the painted rear valence
Are you sure it has original paint meaning someone may have sanded the stripes away?
Sounds real nice either way
Marti report wont do him any good...all the records for 65-66 were lost so Marti reports are really only good for 67+

Reactions: 1 user