1967 Mustang V8/Transmission Conversion

• Sponsors (?)

FalconGuy016 said:
Hey guys, I'm from 4.6L and I have no clue about classic Mustangs.

I have a friend who just picked up a project 67 Mustang. It's an I6 automatic, and he claims he wants to convert it into a 289 V8 manual.

I was wondering if anybody here knew what would have to be done in order to accomplish this. I have a feeling it's not as easy as he thinks it is, but, I really don't know at the same time.

Thanks!

It's a long list, the v8 cars have a beafier suspension and 5 lug wheels, you can do the swap without it but you wouldn't want to burn any rubber with it. They don't stop too well with the 6 cyl. parts. the engine and tranny swap is pretty straight forward if you have a donor car, but if you try and buy everything seperately it's gonna nichol and dome you to death.

A 67 is not so bad. Suspension is the same except the springs. Most drag racers look for for 6 cyl springs. You have to swap the rearend since the stocker is weeeeak. V8 motor mounts are a bit rare for a 67, but other years can be used if you redrill the top hole. Granada brakes will get you 5 lugs for the front and you're done. If there is such thing.