1967 Shelby Cobra GT 500 Mustang ("Eleanor")

SlnLax43

May 5, 2004
It will be many years off but when I get the money I will be spending it on the "Eleanor" car and for that much money I want to get a genuine, not a clone. How exactly would I be able to tell this? I have some experience with Mustangs since I turned my 2000 base V6 into a Saleen replica (pics coming soon) with sound system, chrome wheels, and much more coming (including upgrades to 400 HP) and did all the work myself but don't know as much about the older 'Stangs. Thanks

-Mike

• Sponsors (?)

But don't forget shelby is starting to produce his models with vin numbers and all......for $125,500!!!! All you will get is a clone of the movie car. But They sell body kits and options specifically made to make your own clone. That is too much money to spend to make your car look like everyone elses. IMO, add the body kit, get the performance you want, but make it your own car. unless you want to spend $125K on an original. But even those are made from 1967 shelby's that are rebuilt frame up. Good luck....this is such a tired subject!!

65straightsick said:
But don't forget shelby is starting to produce his models with vin numbers and all......for $125,500!!!! All you will get is a clone of the movie car. But They sell body kits and options specifically made to make your own clone. That is too much money to spend to make your car look like everyone elses. IMO, add the body kit, get the performance you want, but make it your own car. unless you want to spend $125K on an original. But even those are made from 1967 shelby's that are rebuilt frame up. Good luck....this is such a tired subject!!

Why even bother to talk about it then :shrug:

Well, Larry at LA Mustang (the best mustang guy in ALL of UTAH) gets a lot of people wanting some type of Elanor. I think he has put together a couple of fastbacks. Right now he is working on a 68 convertable. It has a real Boss 302 with an old school paxton supercharger.

The fiberglass kits that is on the 68 vert is roughly 4500 bucks. It is probably that much in labor to make them fit correctly. They fit pretty bad.

After the kit, it is basically how you want to do it. If you you want what the movie car was supposed to be, then you need a 428, Nitrous, the go baby go button, etc. Or, you can make your own with a small block 351W stroker, 5 speed, whatever you want. It just depends on how you want to build it.

Either way, you are going to spend most of your money on the 67 or 68 fastback (getting expensive due to all the "Elanor" wannabe cars) and getting the "look".

Myfirst67 said:
Why do people still hate on Eleanors :shrug: and 65straightsick any mustang "can make more power if you do it right".
Why do I hate Eleanwhores? Because they're all fake cars. Buncha spoilers and flares and dress up stuff to make them "look" fast. Same reason I rag on other cars that are dressed up to "look" fast. And in the movie I got the biggest laugh when Nick had to use the "NOS" button to make the car do more than 120 mph. Damn my old 67-427 fastback would do that simply by giving it more pedal. :D

D.Hearne said:
Why do I hate Eleanwhores? Because they're all fake cars. Buncha spoilers and flares and dress up stuff to make them "look" fast. Same reason I rag on other cars that are dressed up to "look" fast. And in the movie I got the biggest laugh when Nick had to use the "NOS" button to make the car do more than 120 mph. Damn my old 67-427 fastback would do that simply by giving it more pedal. :D

Except that the stock body starts to lift at around 125MPH...

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I don't know as much about the older mustangs as i do the newer ones since my car is a 2000. I know I will never to be able to afford it but just for the heck of it...How much is the movie car? :-D

Just remember, according to SAAC, the only REAL 1967 GT-500's are the ones made in 1967. Period. The Elenwhores are not originals.

Current pricess for a restored original 1967 GT-500 start at over $60K, and go up. The Elenwhores start at over $80K complete, and all it is is a gussied up Mustang.

My suggestion is to get a good, solid Mustang, and build it the way you want, just like you did with your V-6. Only advice, just like you did with your car, let all know it's a clone, and you will not offend anyone!

I personelly dont hate eleanor cars but what I dont like to see is folks associating GT500's with other names etc.. but guess thats how the movie world put a spin on it so now we'll always read about folks looking for original eleanors to restore. oh well

Build what you want not what others think you should or shouldnt have thats the whole point its YOUR project