1967 Specific Wheel Question

Papa Wheelie

Apr 22, 2016
Hello, I am a newbie to the forum. After a couple of years of looking in the DFW area, I finally found the car I was looking for last December. I bought a very original 1967 C code coupe with factory air and power steering. I have spent a little time on it working out some issues, but now Im thinking about new wheels. The car has the original styled steel wheels and 215/70/14 tires. Its a cool original look which works for the car, but I really like the look of the larger wheels and low profile tires. I would keep the original wheels, but Im considering buying some of the Scott Drake 'styled steel' look a likes in 16X8, see the picture. I think these wheels look semi-original, which would compliment the originality of the car.

I have read many threads about wheels on this forum, but it seems each car is unique. Some cars are lowered, some have rolled fenders, etc. Also, there is some really good information on this site, but some of the links are so old they no longer work. Dodgestang is an example.

If possible, I would like to have the same sized wheel on all 4 corners.

Here are a few of my questions-
Are the Scott Drake wheels good quality? Are there other companies that offer original look a likes that are better quality that don't cost a fortune?
What are the differences in front end wheel rub from the 65/66 cars vs 67? Same?
Would 16X8 wheels with 225/55/16s work all the way around for stock suspension. The car has original springs, so it sags a bit in the back, but I sort of like the stance as is.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Scott Drake Wheel.jpg
    Scott Drake Wheel.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Sponsors (?)

This forum just gets low traffic from time to time.

I couldn't tell you from personal experience whether Scott Drake wheels are quality pieces or not. Best bet is to look at any reviews of them you can find. I don't really have enough experience to answer the questions about wheel rub up front. I'm planning on going with an aftermarket front suspension where upper control arm interference with the wheels won't be an issue.

Thanks for the reply. I read some reviews for various Scott Drake wheels on the Summit website. Most seems positive, so the quality is probably good. I read some good info on the site, but some of those cars were lowered or had the aftermarket control arms, so that changes the answer. Surely somebody out there has experience with 16X8 wheels on a stock '67 car. Ive considered going with 15X7 wheels, but I don't know if that's a big enough change for the money.