1968 Big Block

EDzierzek

Apr 23, 2004
I need some help. I have a 1968 mustang shelby clone and I am removing the 302 and installing a 68 s code 390 in it . Can someone tell me as far as engine mounts- will a truck engine mounts with a 390 in it work or not ?? Thanks for any help u may be able to provide as far as this project ?? Any one who has done this type of swap before - - I would really appreciate any helpful info. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Truck mounts don't work. You need the factory 3 piece Mustang mounts for what you want to do. Although big block Stangs are awesome performers, to get the performance you'd get with a 390, you can get it with a stroker 5.0 ( 331 or 347) or a 351W today, without all the hassles of finding the swap parts to do a big block. It's not that easy to swap in a big block, you'll also need to swap transmissions if you now have an automatic, the trans crossmember is different, a spring upgrade to handle the weight, plus the big block cars also had beefed up shock towers. Not to mention you'll also need to upgrade to a 9" rear if you haven't already.