1970 coupe rear window install - can't find new clips

Legacy4STANG

May 16, 2018
Does anyone know where I can purchase a clip kit for the rear window molding on a 1970 coupe? I'm at a loss, no one seems to offer them. I found a great youtube video install showing the 2 different styles of clips required but can't find new ones available anywhere. I'm finishing a project someone else started so I don't know what happened to the originals.

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like I will be making my own clips for this job as well. The lower clips as seen above (bottom pic)are doable the upper clips however I don't have a picture of or anything else to guide me. If anyone has a picture of the upper clips for a 1970 coupe REAR window I would sure appreciate it. The sites I've gone to list a specific clip for the Front Windshield molding but nothing for the Rear. Also I'm wondering if the FRT clip will work for the rear???

Also have to make three of these male parts for the lower clips. (Top Pic)

Well I built my own plastic clips out of nylon. They turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. I also have a "template" I built out of .010 aluminum today for the metal clips that mount to the car that I will transfer to either .030 or .040 steel. I need to figure out what the best thickness is for the application. Sometimes it's just easier to build it yourself I guess.

Reactions: 1 user

Looks like I will be making my own clips for this job as well. The lower clips as seen above (bottom pic)are doable the upper clips however I don't have a picture of or anything else to guide me. If anyone has a picture of the upper clips for a 1970 coupe REAR window I would sure appreciate it. The sites I've gone to list a specific clip for the Front Windshield molding but nothing for the Rear. Also I'm wondering if the FRT clip will work for the rear???

Also have to make three of these male parts for the lower clips. (Top Pic)
Update: After contacting Rich at Mustangs to Fear last weekend he pointed me in the direction of the late 80's early 90's Ford F150 and Bronco window trim. After a short search I was able to find the clips through Bronco Graveyard here in Michigan. $1.95 each. I installed the clips this weekend and they fit great. Rich saved me from a lot of hand work that may never have worked properly. I can't thank him enough. Last fall I purchased a molded headliner from Mustangs to fear and in one of his install video's I remembered him making a comment that if anyone ever had a tech question to shoot him a note and sure enough he meant it. Thanks again Rich you saved my butt!

Update: After contacting Rich at Mustangs to Fear last weekend he pointed me in the direction of the late 80's early 90's Ford F150 and Bronco window trim. After a short search I was able to find the clips through Bronco Graveyard here in Michigan. $1.95 each. I installed the clips this weekend and they fit great. Rich saved me from a lot of hand work that may never have worked properly. I can't thank him enough. Last fall I purchased a molded headliner from Mustangs to fear and in one of his install video's I remembered him making a comment that if anyone ever had a tech question to shoot him a note and sure enough he meant it. Thanks again Rich you saved my butt!
Is it the nylon clips or the metal ones that they found?

Well I built my own plastic clips out of nylon. They turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. I also have a "template" I built out of .010 aluminum today for the metal clips that mount to the car that I will transfer to either .030 or .040 steel. I need to figure out what the best thickness is for the application. Sometimes it's just easier to build it yourself I guess.

How did you make the clips? I’ve been going crazy trying to find those evil plastic pieces.

How did you make the clips? I’ve been going crazy trying to find those evil plastic pieces.

I had an old one that I used as a template. I laid out the basic shape on a end of a length of nylon bar stock and set it up in a Bridgeport milling machine. I removed the majority of stock with an end mill and then finished it up with a carbide burr in a pencil grinder. I only needed a couple so this was an easy option, if I needed a complete set I would have considered 3d printing them. Either way having one to use as a template is critical.

I had an old one that I used as a template. I laid out the basic shape on a end of a length of nylon bar stock and set it up in a Bridgeport milling machine. I removed the majority of stock with an end mill and then finished it up with a carbide burr in a pencil grinder. I only needed a couple so this was an easy option, if I needed a complete set I would have considered 3d printing them. Either way having one to use as a template is critical.
Most of mine are still good except for a few but they are still on my car at the moment. Need to replace my window seal and I’m worried about breaking the others. I was considering 3D printing but didn’t have dimensions for someone to make it. I’m wondering why someone hasn’t reproduced these things and the trim itself.

Did you save any dimensions for the plastic clips?