1970 Mustang Clutch Pedal

dbdragracing

Dec 1, 2004
I went to the Columbus, OH Swap Meet this weekend and purchased a clutch pedal for my 1970 Mustang...the guy was a 69'-70' Mustang parts guy and promised me it was for a 1970 Mustang. I just want to verify this because it will be this time next year before I install it. I have attached pictures of the pedal I purchased...please look at you pedal and verify this is the correct pedal for a 1970 Mustang. Thanks. for all the help!

Clutch_6_Web.JPG

Clutch_5_Web.JPG

Clutch_3_Web.JPG

Clutch_1_Web.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I can't believe the cost of a clutch pedal for 69-70 Mustang and Cougar!
I got a complete rebuilt pedal assembly for 350.00 on ebay.
Then, on a whim I had to go to the local bone yard for a bit of brake pedal wiring.
While I was there, I found a 70 Mustang with.......complete clutch pedal assembly!!
I almost had a stroke. When I asked the guy at the counter how much, he said, "60 bucks if you pull it out".

I said I'll be right back.

Somebody in the aftermarket has GOT to see the opportunity here. Repops for 65/7 pedals are around 125, they can't be that different, or that much more to make.

Yeah I agree someone needs to repro these. I have been looking for awhile and several people selling them have no idea if they will fit a '70 or not but still want a fortune for them. All I needed was one pedal and $250 was the cheapest I have seen and it was guaranteed to fit! Later.

The '69 pedal assembly has the rubber bumper in the frame bracket. As shown in the picture, the '70 has the rubber pad in the pedal. The '69 and '70 brackets are more significantly different, which may be why no one wants to repop a one year only item.

It's still possible to stumble across a Mustang in a regular wrecking yard depending on where you are (e.g. Texas, Oklahoma) but in most of the country they seem to have been bought up by Mustang specialty yards or crushed.

There was one yard in Alvaredo, Texas back in the early 90s that had over a dozen early Cougars with all kinds of nice rare options. I was down on a business trip in a rental car at the time, so I paid $200 for a complete untouched '69 351W, pulled it myself and set it in a trailer with a big SOLD tag on it. This engine was complete with all the brackets, carb to pan, fan to bellhousing. All I could do was wait until I could come back on a personal trip when I had a little more time and a truck. When I came back a few months later to pick it up, the yard had changed hands, all of the cars were crushed, and the trailer was gone. Everything had been sold for scrap metal. No engine. $200 and a complete virgin engine gone. :cry:

Oh a whim a couple years ago I bought a pedal assembly for my '70 from eBay. I guess I got lucky buying it for about $120. It bothered me that I bought it since I still have it sitting on the shelf.

Now I feel better!