1970 Rack & Pinion Fitment help!

Cupid

Mar 30, 2006
Sorry to roll in here looking for instant help, but I need to make a decision tonight about this rack and pinion. Yes, it is from FR. It pretty much has everything from the rack to the steering column and pump. Most of all, I can get it by tomorrow. Which is important b/c i'll be finishing up the rebuild of my motor this week.

Anybody have experience with this kit?

Here's my setup:

1970 Grande' Coupe
351 Cleveland
Keisler T45RS tranny (was automatic FMX)

Notes from the listing:

Notes: Designed for vehicles equipped with V8 engines only, requires the use of an aftermarket steering wheel. Will only fit automatic transmission models with stock exhaust manifolds.

Here are my concerns: 1) I'm going to a manual. 2) I have headman longtubes that I want to install.

• Sponsors (?)

stay far far away from flaming river racks. personally i would go with either Home Page , www.steeroids.com or Unisteer Performance Products all of these are in the same general price range as the FR piece of crap and are much better systems and I think all of them will allow the use of your long tubes with maybe only the steeroids rack not working with them, i can tell you for sure the FR rack WILL NOT work your long tubes.

I had major clearance issues with two different FR racks I attempted to install in my 69 Cougar with a 351W/FMX.

The big problem was that there was no way to connect the steering gear to the column without boring a big hole in the outlet flange of the driver side exhaust manifold.

Fortunately I was able to ship the kits back to FR for a full refund, although I had to pay for return shipping twice.