1974 302 with C4 swapping to AOD..... need guidance please

Hello All,
I currently have a '74 302 in a '74 Maverick or Comet Chassis with a '32 Model A Body. (It's a kit car). All that matters is the 302 /AOD combo. I want to avoid pulling the AOD out again after it's in place. So the internals must be correct. This will be a "driveway swap" and i'm getting old.
I understand there are a few issues to consider.
1) Using the proper torque converter. I will be getting the converter with the AOD so I think that will be OK. But how to be sure?
2) The flex plate needs to be considered along with the harmonic balance. How do I tell what balance I have & then which Flex plate I need??? Then does the flex plate go on any which way or does it need to match the balance some how?
3) Tail housing length which will cause the Drive shaft to be shortened. Is this always the case?
4) Starter may need change????
Please if you have info on any or all, I would be thrilled to have your input.
Thanks, Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, let's see if I can answer any of this....

1. If it came with the transmission then it should be correct. Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking?
2. The flexplate will need to be the correct balance. Now I don't know exactly which plates will allow the converter to bolt to them, but it should be balanced to the engine. IIRC, the flexpate'flywheel bolt patterns only allow them to be bolted on one way, so you should be good there.
3. I believe the transmission is longer overall requiring the driveshaft to be shortened compared to a C4. Since you're building a kit car, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it will always be the case.
4. I don't believe you'll have a problem with starters. You may want to research into what I'm saying to double check, but I think all Ford starters are interchangeable between automatic cars. If you want to be certain, exchange your starter for a car with an AOD. Seems to be cheap insurance that way.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

i used the stock driveshaft on all my builds on my car. the auto drive shaft is 1 in longer than the 4 speed and i have both and they both work for the 4-speed 5-speed c4 and the aod and the tans mount i added a bracket and bolted it up to cross member and it sticks out further and can slide it back and forward to fit what ever trans you want with no problem