1974 F-100 9" in a 1967 Mustang coupe

Trent K.

Oct 21, 2019
Hermann, MO
So I've come across a 1974 f100 with a 9" rear end in it, and I was wondering what it would take to swap this into my 67 mustang coupe. Different axles? Will the housing even fit in the car? If anyone knows anything about this I'll be grateful to hear some good information on it. Thanks!
  • Sponsors(?)


SN Certified Technician
Apr 12, 2002
you would first need to remove all the suspension brackets and then narrow the housing to fit your car, easy enough to do though. if you measure carefully you can use the stock 8" axles from your 67 until such time as you can afford to replace them with something stronger. this assumes you use the smaller 28 spline side gears in the 9", otherwise new axles will be needed. some 9" axles can be shortened and resplined as needed as long as they are not tapered. alsp depending on the housing ends you choose, you can keep your stock brake backing plate for your stock brakes, or upgrade them to larger brakes.

there are a lot of companies that can help you out with this, currie enterprises, moser engineering, strange engineering are three god ones to get in contact with. they make every thing needed to get this conversion done, as well as have the expereince to help you through the conversion.
  • Like
Reactions: 2Blue2