1975 Mii Power Steering Rack

eaglecap

Jul 31, 2000
I am original owner of 1975 Mustang II Silver Ghia. I did a total rebuild 3 or 4 years ago.. I did a seal replace on the power rack since it was leaking. I know, it started leaking again in a few months. I took it to a shop who put in a newly rebuilt unit. Original was a three bolt but could not find one so let him order and install a 2 bolt. Felt fine, steered well, but leaked, he worked on it several times over 6 months and finally decided it was warped and would not mate. He called the place he got it from and they sent him a new one. This one is different, however, and I am concerned. It does not have the tube that ran between the bellows. It turns very hard compared to the original and 1st replacement (both had the tube). If you sit on pavement and turn the wheel lock to lock, there are points where the unit jumps like it is slipping or something not every time and not at the lock points. I thought it might have air in it but have not been able to work it out. I am taking it back but am looking for some input first. Could it be the wrong rack and be binding somewhere. It is obviously a different design and I am not sure it is the right unit. When did they go to 2 bolt and what is different between the units that have the bleed over tube and those that don't? As hard as it turns something has to be wrong.

• Sponsors (?)

" This one is different, however, and I am concerned. It does not have the tube that ran between the bellows. "
This may not be a problem. The air tube between the bellows may be built into the rack.

" If you sit on pavement and turn the wheel lock to lock, there are points where the unit jumps like it is slipping or something not every time and not at the lock points "
Maybe your belt isn't tight enough and it is slipping on the pump.

" This one is different, however, and I am concerned. It does not have the tube that ran between the bellows. "
This may not be a problem. The air tube between the bellows may be built into the rack

"May not" won't work. I know different styles were made I need to know what they match up to and why some need the bleeder tube and some don't.

" If you sit on pavement and turn the wheel lock to lock, there are points where the unit jumps like it is slipping or something not every time and not at the lock points "
Maybe your belt isn't tight enough and it is slipping on the pump.

No, not the belt. No squeal and plenty tight.

I figured out why it turns so much harder. The OEM rack was a 3.3 turn stop to stop. This one is 2.7 stop to stop. More direct, more resistance. Probably a performance rack.