1977 cobra ii trying to see if numbers match?

hey guys, i am trying to find out if the cobra ii i just bought is all numbers matching. i got the vin from the dash and matched it to the door, but i am looking for the vin on the engine and trans but cant seem to find them. can anyone shed some light on where ford stamped the vin for these motors?

• Sponsors (?)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge there are no VIN stamps on the engines or transmissions on our cars. The only way to somewhat confirm is to check the casting numbers on the block.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge there are no VIN stamps on the engines or transmissions on our cars. The only way to somewhat confirm is to check the casting numbers on the block.
aww bummer! the guy i bought from had it shipped from the mainland and i dont know how to track previous owners to see if there was a motor swap. how would i go about looking into it the way you suggested (casting numbers)? is there a way to trace back what casting # was used in each car?

As far as I know, the best you can do is the date code from the casting numbers and compare them with the date your car was assembled. The casting numbers on the block are located above the starter as looking from under the car. This is a random internet pic for reference:

interchange1.gif

As far as I know, the best you can do is the date code from the casting numbers and compare them with the date your car was assembled. The casting numbers on the block are located above the starter as looking from under the car. This is a random internet pic for reference:

interchange1.gif
thanks for the info! ill get the car in the air this weekend and look into that

hey guys so I found a stamp that tells m it isnt the stock engine. the first 4 digits of the casting is D1OE. If im correct that means it is a 1971 302 out of a Fairlane or Torino. Kinda bummed that it isnt stock but also kinda happy that it is a pre-emissions motor. i found the stamp on the passenger side of the car right below cyl 3 and 4 near the oil pan

Reactions: 1 user
Ford has been stamping a VIN on the engine and transmission for decades. The VIN on the 302 engine block from a vehicle assembled at DAP is on a flat pad behind the lifter valley.

Engineering numbers on parts don't change every year and they are not different for every model. Those numbers are what the part was originally engineered for, but the part is used on as many different model lines and for as many years as is possible, without a major redesign which would neccesitate an engineering number change. A D1OE block could have very well been used OEM in 1977.

Ford has been stamping a VIN on the engine and transmission for decades. The VIN on the 302 engine block from a vehicle assembled at DAP is on a flat pad behind the lifter valley.

Engineering numbers on parts don't change every year and they are not different for every model. Those numbers are what the part was originally engineered for, but the part is used on as many different model lines and for as many years as is possible, without a major redesign which would neccesitate an engineering number change. A D1OE block could have very well been used OEM in 1977.
oh wow that is incredibly good to know!!! thank you for that info

Good to know - I had always worked under the assumption that there were no identifying marks on run of the mill engines. Now I'll have to actually pay attention to my 302 to see if there are any markings on it. I don't remember seeing any in my recollection, but I'm also not horribly concerned with it as I know it's not the original engine to the car. My original engine went the way of the dodo years ago...... :rolleyes: