Build Thread 1978 King Cobra Build

In really rough shape. 1978 King Cobra, 302, auto transmission.

Sent the engine for a rebuild. Stock short block rebuild with KB pistons, AFR 165 aluminum heads, Comp Cams XE268H Cam, roller tip rockers, Edelbrock alum intake, Edelbrock 600 carb.

Looking to get a little more than stock. After some research, this combination seemed ok.

Reactions: 1 users
Interior is really rough. Bought the stock seat covers and had them installed onto the seats. Haven’t installed them back in car yet. I need to work on replacing the heater core that I bought and needs replaced.

Also bought the center console lid, dash brushed aluminum inserts and another good used dash pad.

Reactions: 1 users
Going to send these rims to get polished and clear coated. The 13x5’s I bought on eBay, the 13x8.5(I believe) I’ve had for about 30 years, saved in my garage.

The chrome wheels I got a deal on and going to try to install. They are 17x10 r ears and 17x9 fronts. I’ll need to massage them in there with spacers (fronts) and smaller tires and they might fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Going to send these slotted mag rims to get polished and clear coated. The 13x5’s I bought on eBay, the 13x8.5(I believe) I’ve had for about 30 years, saved in my garage.

The chrome wheels I got a deal on and going to try to install. They are 17x10 rears and 17x9 fronts. I’ll need to massage them in there with spacers (fronts) and smaller tires and they might fit.

Last edited:
Im trying to get an ok little runner out of it. I bought it in running condition but the engine needed help. Didn’t want to spend this money now but i just want to get it running.

Thank you Jim, I hope so. I have two six speed projects, had a chance to get a Cobra with a manual trans and passed on it because I was looking for the auto.

Had to pull off the dash board to get to the heater core. Filthy. Replaced the heater core and had to check to make sure the AC Evaperator Core next to it was good. There is a dark spot on the lower corner of the Evaperator Core and the plastic below it has a hole. AC shop checked it, no leaks and a put it back together. Not completely finished with it but almost finished with the dash.

Last edited: