1979 Mustang 2.3 replacement turbo - Garrett?

EvgO

Jul 5, 2022
Riga, Latvia
Hey guys.
So. I have this 1979 that came from the factory turboed, according to it's VIN. It is missing it now though.

I'm considering my options what to do with the engine. As far as I understand, stock factory 2.3 Lima's, if turboed, came with stronger pistons and should take about 5 psi of boost.

I sometimes see a Garrett turbo on ebay. Is it the stock one, should I be able to restore the car the way it was?
Or should I perhaps go another route? As far as I researched, SOHC Lima's don't really get a out-of-the-box turbo solutions. What's the best course of action if I don't want to change the engine, but want to add back some power?

The Garrett turbo in question:

image_2023-05-17_221515518.png

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of a 1979 factory 4 cylinder turbo mustang. Thought that happened in 1984 with the svo ?

Really good resource for the 79-86 cars.

Yeah, made a thread there, thanks.

I've never heard of a 1979 factory 4 cylinder turbo mustang. Thought that happened in 1984 with the svo ?
It did indeed exist, as one of the engine options. "W" in the VIN code. I think they got rid of it in 80 or 81, since it wasn't all that reliable.

Reactions: 1 user
There was one. Smh. 0 to 60 of reported 9.1 seconds flat. It would be cool put back to original. Would be even cooler to put the latest ecoboost 2.3 in that first turbo fox.

Had a 79 indy pacecar edition back in the late 80's and early 90s. When I bought the car the turbo was toast. I remember buying a turbo from some company in Cali, (Turbo City?) don't recall for sure. It had an adjustable rod on the wastegate IIRC. The early turbo cars didn't perform nearly as well as the later intercooled turbo versions.