1982 Gt Question

TheSeed

Jun 4, 2016
Hello stangnet! If this has already been covered please let me know, my question is I am purchasing a 1982 GT with a 4 speed as my next car and I've noticed absolutely no one has 82 taillights, has anymore found if another year works? Or if there is a source for the lenses? No LMR and CJponyparts do not have them. Any info is much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I remember seeing someone with them, let me look it up. I have an '83, of course the stang switched to the new lense that year.

I'll check back and let you know.

Sure, the newer lights will fit. I think it was probably on eBay that I saw those lenses. You're right about most mustang suppliers don't carry them.

Plus the older ones will fit fine.

I saw them on ebay too but they were new old stock so other words dryed out. Thanks. Any threads on here about swapping the T-5 in?
There must be, I forget all the problems pre and mid '83 guys have with that four speed.

'82 went back to the 5.0 right? It should be relatively easy. Not necessarily cheap, but easy.

NOS won't mean dried out btw. If they were kept decently, that could be almost good as new.

Tail lights do not interchange. You're stuck with what you have unless you change the tail light panel, which involves drilling out dozens of spot welds and welding in a newer (1983-93) tail light panel. Oh, and the wiring is different too.

Sure, you can drill holes in your existing panel so the studs and sockets from the newer housing fit your existing panel, and then bolt on newer tail lights, but the seals aren't right and you'll likely get water inside your hatch.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Foxchassis is right about this one.

I hadn't dealt much with the pre '83 lights back then but I knew someone that wanted the post '82 lights in his '81 and said it wasn't that big of a deal. Of course he was a bodyman. I forget what would seem difficult to someone that doesn't do this stuff for a living. I've always liked the pre '82 lights myself. Still, I'm going with my original '83 lights now.

It can be done without swapping out the rear body panel and without having leaks. Wiring harness change isn't rocket science.

"Do it right or don't do it at all". Lol. Thanks for your insight Obiwan.