1983 Fox Body Transmission Problems

Rahim

Mar 6, 2015
Hey I recently traded my truck for a Fox body mustang. It's an 83 body with an 89 engine. recently I got into my car and it wouldn't shift into gear. I had to push it really hard to get into any gear. What could be causing this? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You have "whimpy Rob Lowe arms"?:shrug:
Does it go into every gear hard? Any other issues/noises? What were you doing before it started acting up? Sounds like the clutch fork but could be a few different things:clutch cable,shifter,synchros,etc.
Edit: this probably should be moved to tech?

Try this, if manual put your toes UNDER the clutch and lift the pedal. This will adjust the cable via the quadrant and actuates the clutch...

stop pushing on the brake..lol

Seriously, could be

clutch cable
fork
Throwout bearing

As mentioned try the self asjuster on the clutch pedal. If it's the stock original cable. it could be stretched

What tranny? T-5, SROD, AOD or C4?
If a manual, can you shift gears with it turned off and the car not moving? This will point to clutch & cable vs. internal or shifter issues.

Hey, so when the car is off it wil shift into gear. 3rd and 4th gear feel like they dont go as far back in as it does when you push it into 1st and second. It does make some clanking noises while shifting while the car is off and without using clutch. The clutch also feels very stiff.

That sounds like the first problem has to do with the clutch not disengaging. So check the cable, quadrant and fork first.

It will clunk/clatter but shift while off with the clutch engaged.