1983 Gt Mustang Need some Guidance please!

leos67

Nov 13, 2003
Hey guys i have a 1983 bone stock Gt 5.0 carbed and i recently passed smog. the car was running great until recently. i want to remove all the smog equipment and stock intake and add an aftermarket manifold and carb. so i guess what my question is what emmisions stuff can i take off of the car and what do i have to plug up in order for my car to work. Also what are those tubes that the carb has one in front and one in back? The blue arrows are pointing to one of them. thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Carb%20013-1.JPG
    Carb%20013-1.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Sponsors (?)

First off, go here
http://www.foureyedpride.com/

the one on the extreme left of the pic is where the wire goes to operate the choke.

the tube coming out of the fuel bowl vents vapors to the charcoal canisters.

the one under the carb is where the idle mixture screws are.. if the carb hasnt been worked on, they have metal caps over them.. if they've been pulled out, you need an allen wrench to adjust the mixture.. dont remember what size off hand.. there are 4, one at each corner

the hole in the carb is where that line in the hose should go, pretty sure that the line runs around to one of the vacum switches in the back of the manifold that changes vacum advance depending on water temp..

I remember that picture...

Everything comes off and vacuum lines get capped. I run a vacuum advance and a source to the vacuum tree at the driver's side firewall. But, I also am running an aftermarket exhaust and have the heads plugged. Simple work. I run an edelbrock Performer 289 on a 93 block with an 80457S Holley. I run hi 8s in the 1/8th and get 18/25. Fun everyday driver.