1984 5.0 throttle body convertible stalls when warm

velocity5

Apr 25, 2019
OK
Car starts and idles perfect for 10 minutes. Before the thermostat even opens it then surges and blows black smoke. It smells rich and dies. I have to hold in the throttle to restart.
Long time owner states it has been looked at years ago and nobody could figure it out. She just puts it in neutral at stop lights to keep it running.
The car is in great shape otherwise. All emission hoses are there and hooked up. Where should I start?

• Sponsors (?)

84 with a throttle body? Is it cfi or was it converted?
maybe a picture would help.
Car is factory. Sorry I don't know what cfi is. It looks like this but no a/c .
mump_1102_03_o+1984_ford_mustang_gt_convertible+engine_bay.jpg

If it's a 5-spd it's a carb. If it's automatic, it's CFI. Really need to know what we dealing with first. Pictures help

CFI will say EFI on the valve cleaner. Carb will say 4V like the pic above
1984_00017_04.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
If it's a 5-spd it's a carb. If it's automatic, it's CFI. Really need to know what we dealing with first. Pictures help

CFI will say EFI on the valve cleaner. Carb will say 4V like the pic above
1984_00017_04.jpg
Looked at it today. It says EFI like the above pic. it is an automatic.
Owner informed me the catalytic converter was removed years ago. It also has had 2 brains swapped out trying to fix the issue.

So it's CFI.

Which means it's eec-4 and you can pull codes. Locate the test plug which might be on the drivers rear of the engine bay near the wiper motor.

There's a sticky at the top of the tech page explaining how to pull codes. You'll need to use the test light method, or buy an innova 3145 meter for $20.

I'd locate that test plug first