1984 Mustang Windshield Washer question

mercury-man

Mar 17, 2022
Texas
The wiring harness from my windshield washer pump is disconnected.

I find another harness in close proximity that is also dis-connected.

However, both harnesses are female (see pictures).

Am I missing a connector piece?

IMG_7454.JPG
IMG_7455.JPG
IMG_7456.JPG
IMG_7457.JPG
IMG_7458.JPG
IMG_7459.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I did a quick search and didn't find anything but didn't have much time to deal with it, without a wire diagram I would match wire colors on the plugs to wires on the wiper motor, or maybe use a test light to see if one of the plugs lights up when the washer button is pushed.
I'm not that familiar with the earlier models, when I get some more time this afternoon I can do more searching.
where is the washer tank on the 84 model?

No, the washer pump wiring isn't connected to anything.

It would be helpful to see a picture of how the washer wiring harness is connected on a similar Mustang that has a working washer pump..

So far, I have been unable to find a picture of a similar washer pump that has its wiring harness properly connected.

Isn't that second connector (coming from the washer pump harness) for the fluid level indicator/light? There is a connection point for it on the reservoir just forward of the pump connection on my car. But it's an '85, so it may be different.

Isn't that second connector (coming from the washer pump harness) for the fluid level indicator/light? There is a connection point for it on the reservoir just forward of the pump connection on my car. But it's an '85, so it may be different.
I will look again, even might take off the reservoir to check... I took a quick look and did not see any plug in for it... I will look again

Took the reservoir off and there is nothing else on it or in it to plug into...... Do you have a manual where you could trace the wiring by color code??

I know the aftermarket replacement reservoirs don't have the fluid level sensor typically, but your engine compartment looks pretty original, so I would think your reservoir is the one that came with the car.

Here's what mine looks like....

Attachments

• WasherReservoir.jpg
    WasherReservoir.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 44
The extra connector real close to the washer pump take out should be for a low washer fluid light that your Mustang does not have
A Capri may have has the sensor if it was a RS and the harness is most likely the same
Your washer pump connector looks wired into the loom like it's supposed to be to me
Are you sure the washer pump motor is not kaput? and there is 12v there when you push the lever?
The other male connector may have gone to another ignition module connector that some had (a run retard switch or whatever they called it)?

The extra connector real close to the washer pump take out should be for a low washer fluid light that your Mustang does not have
A Capri may have has the sensor if it was a RS and the harness is most likely the same
Your washer pump connector looks wired into the loom like it's supposed to be to me
Are you sure the washer pump motor is not kaput? and there is 12v there when you push the lever?
The other male connector may have gone to another ignition module connector that some had (a run retard switch or whatever they called it)?
Im pretty sure that only the 86-89 GT's have the washer fluid reservoir with a sensor and maybe the 94's too but you never know with Ford...The info is never accurate..........LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user