1985 5.0 Build using a 1995 long block

Do I need a steel gear for the distributor if I am using the 1995 5.0 SN95 camshaft?
I want to build myself a 5.0. Particularly a 1984-6 GT 4bbl Holley 600 vacuum secondary Carburetor with Duraspark II Ignition version.
198450mm.jpg

Duraspark II wiring diagram
durasparkwiring.gif

I have a 1995 5.0 long block.
I know that I will need an appropriate timing cover that has the mounting boss for a mechanical fuel pump and I will need a matching set of accessories and brackets and pulleys. It has been a long time since I have looked under the hood of a '84 or '85 GT so I can't see this image in my head at the moment. (If anyone has a picture of the pulleys and brackets, can I borrow it?)

Most likely I will be using a 2G alternator which would be correct for this year.
2Galternator02.jpg

Also a C2 power steering pump.
c2powersteeringpump.jpg

The 2 main questions that I have for you 5.0 guys is...
1) What camshaft came in the 1995 5.0 engine ? and
2) What distributor gear do I need to use so that the cam gear will not get chewed off of the cam?

DISCLAIMER: I have borrowed all of the pictures from the Internet including an engine picture from Mustang Monthly !

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Here is what I know about what you want to do:
that steering gear will not work on a fox mustang, stay with the rack and pinion.
the fox oil pan has the dip stick hole so no need to drill out the timing cover, as for the fuel pump issue I believe there is a low pressure pump that can be used in the fuel tank, and you need a distributor gear compatible with roller cam.
Any accessory drive from a v8 fox will work.
Did the mustang your dropping this engine in come with a v8?

Ok, let me back up here a bit, most of what I posted is wrong, but thats you fault! But thats ok, I can move this to a place where you can get some advice on installing this stuff in a 65 body ( you failed to say this was going in a first gen stang, and you posted in a fox forum) those members over in the classic forums are well versed in planting 5.0's in classic stangs.
they are also picture hoe's so post those pics or it ain't happen'n! :jester:

These members have extensive experience building roller blocks too, as you know it been done many times, this is the place for first gen stangs regardless of motivation. Now get to work, post some pics of your progress and I'll be following too :nice: