1985 Mustang 5.0 Please Help

Shane218

Active User
Jan 8, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
I have an issue with my 85 mustang gt, first off i want to say thanks for your help and time. I have been having trouble with my 2nd gear popping out when downshifting so i decided to buy a rebuilt T5 trans off a 91, So i pulled out my trans and decided to thrown in a new clutch kit stage 3, pilot & tob bearing, rear main seal. I should of went with the stock clutch kit but i got a decent deal on this stage 3, long story short i have everything back together and now i cant get the car to go in gear, i can move it in all gears when the car is not running but when its runs it will not go in gear without me really forcing it. I pulled off the inspection cover on the bell housing and inspected the clutch fork and it moves about a inch when pressing the clutch in, i inspected the tob to make sure it presses on the clutch and it seems to be fine but not sure if it needs to press it in more. I dont have adjustable clutch cable but just ordered a bbk adjustable cable. I really hope i did not get screwed over on the rebuilt transmission any info/ advice well be awesome thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Without at least a firewall adjuster it'll be hard to get it dialed in correctly.

Do you still have the stock plastic clutch quadrant, or do you have a metal one ?

The plastic stock one is junk and basically a one time use deal. Once it strips a tooth its done.

You should get it in gear smoothly if the cable is adjusted correctly.

Reactions: 1 user
You might have a lot of chatter with that stage 3 clutch once its adjusted properly. Is you car stock? I bought my car from a guy who put a stage 3 clutch in it because his brother just gave it to him, and the car was completely stock. I couldn't stand it the damn thing. The chatter was killing me. Swapped it out with a Ram street clutch.

Yeah when i started the car i can hear the small noise coming from the bell housing due to the pos stage 3 clutch. I will get my use out of it then replace it. I have some things done to the car cam, heads, intake, carb, headers stuff like that. I really just need to get it running i miss driving it. The bbk cable is coming today hopefully it takes care of the not going into gear issue. thanks for all advice guys!

well guys i installed the new adjustable clutch cable and still the same, thinking about pulling out the trans for the 3rd time to see whats going on. I really hope i did not get screwed over on this rebuilt t5. Any further info would be much appreciated

I had a similar issue a long time ago on a old trans that ended up needing a rebuild/repair. My trans would pop out of first when I started off from a light. I had to hold it in gear. Check and see if the bushing is there that goes on the bottom of the shifter ball. Its a brown or yellowish and looks like a little cup. That could be causing your issue, but I would bet that trans is going to have to be addressed/rebuilt. I had the old trans repaired here in ABQ for about $650 with some new parts installed. The guys who repaired it called me down to look at it when he had it all apart and showed me the issue. But, check and see if that little brown bushing is in there. Maybe, causing your issue. Im sure theres a lot of people selling "REBUILT TRANSMISSIONS" that call them rebuilt but I would bet most of them have been "REPAIRED."

Last edited:
The clutch fork will move quite a bit when the peddle is depressed, watch the fork move forward. Put the car in gear with the engine off and depress the peddle and try to roll the car, next leave the car in gear and start it, be careful it may move abruptly, but it shouldn't.
This is to be done after you adjust the clutch properly.
Some have had issues with the adjustable cables when also using the stock quadrant.
Did you read through the thread I sent you?

I've been there, I feel your pain man. I ended up buying a NEW Z trans from LMR, $1600 at the time but it was worth it to me knowing I wouldn't have to mess with the trans again, if ever. Should've got a TKO though :dammit:

I can force the trans in gear and start the car with the clutch pressed in, what is crazy when i first started the clutch adjustment with the new bbk adjustable cable, it seems like it kept getting loose and i would haft to keep running the adjustment nut more and more maybe it could be the stock quadrant giving me issues??????

Yeah I definitely will.. could the pilot bearing be causing this issues? I installed a new bearing but the kit came with a bushing. Maybe I damaged the bearing when i installed it. My buddy told be to ditch the bearing anyways and install the bushing