1985 T-5 swap into automatic 1990 mustang gt

cherokeetrinity

Aug 28, 2009
i need to know what changes i am going to have to make in order to make everything work properly. how hard is the pedal assembly going to be to swap into the previously automatic car. and what about the ecu?? are they ecu's different?? can i plug that same speedometer cable into the T-5?? by the way it is a cable style manual clutch

• Sponsors (?)

Can you get parts from a newer Mustang? 1985 is a 10" clutch setup. The bellhousing is slightly smaller and won't fit a 10.5" cluthc setup from a newer car.

You kinda want to go with a 1986-later t-5 setup if you can

AOD to T-5 swap trouble

i got a 1990 mustang GT that i bought without a motor or trans, it was an automatic. i am swapping it with a T-5 out of a 84 mustang. does anyone know what all im going to have to change?? what all do i have to remove to put in the clutch pedal assembly?? what about the wiring and computers? are they different? do i need to change any computers??

Two threads on the same page within a day about the same subject. Please, just bump your old thread.

You do not need to change the computers. The 1990 AOD computer is what you want to run. However, you will need the reverse wiring pigtail from a 1986+ Mustang. The 1985 mustang and older wiring harness will not plug into the newer body hardness.

Swap the entire pedal assembly with the brake pedal and clutch pedal in. It should work.

1984 is a non-wc t-5. Take gear old. Also weak. You sure you want to run this? Uses a 10" clutch and smaller bellhousing as well. It also won't have the correct double hump x-member so you'll need to mod the one in the 1990.

Like said before, in terms of mechanical parts....1986+ is the way to go