Brakes 1986 Mustang Rear disc parking brake

Rdub6

So while I wait to figure out my rear end issues
5 Year Member
Dec 29, 2017
Long Island, NY
I recently went to 5 lug and switched to rear discs on my ‘86 (resgular ‘95 up rear calipers). I bought the cables from LMR that are made for this swap and they went on fine and seemed to fit good.
But even with the adjustment tightened all the way up, it will not hold my car on my driveway.
I see it pulling the spring and tightening the pads, bud obviously not enough.
I even tightened the adjustment nut so much it was beginning to hinder the handle from coming up, so had to back it off a tad..... which actually gave me more pad movement, but still not enough.
Short of adding a ferrel or spacer to shorten the cable, I’m stumped. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

It's been a while since i've seen a pre-87 parking brake, but I think there is a reason the threaded adjustable cable doesn't work those years. Do you have some pics to job my memory? I do know the handle is very different from 87+

This threaded rod is attached to a hook that goes into a bracket that the two cables attach to. As you tighten the nut, it tightens both cables. Can’t really get a pic under the car right now.
3D1107D1-B743-40F4-A301-64798CA2963E.jpeg

I forget, does that style handle have a racheting pawl that is adjustable? If so, you can lift the pawl and move it up or down to take up some of the slack. Either way, it sounds like you need to take up some cable to shorten the distance.

ALso make sure the rear wheels are off the ground so you can test for drag. You need to get the cables tight, but not so much to start dragging the rear brakes. There's a very fine line between perfect and too much.

IIRC i had to adjust my parking brake 2-3 times before it held nice. The new cables do stretch.

I forget, does that style handle have a racheting pawl that is adjustable? If so, you can lift the pawl and move it up or down to take up some of the slack. Either way, it sounds like you need to take up some cable to shorten the distance.

ALso make sure the rear wheels are off the ground so you can test for drag. You need to get the cables tight, but not so much to start dragging the rear brakes. There's a very fine line between perfect and too much.

IIRC i had to adjust my parking brake 2-3 times before it held nice. The new cables do stretch.
Thanks!!
I’ll have to check and see if the ratchet mechanism is adjustable as well.
I have been doing the adjustments with the wheels in the air, but only with that adjustment nut.
Actually took a wheel off today, and had my daughter operate the lever so I could see what was going on. I got it better at that point, but still not enough.

I had that issue when I did mine, I should have got the threaded ,adjustable cable but instead I used a cable clamp to shorten it up and it has worked fine for over two years.
Hope you get it to work.