1986 Mustang with 135 Amp Boss alternator and Amp meter?

sam woodson

Feb 21, 2007
My alternator died, so I purchased a 135 Amp Boss alternator from AlterStart.

It's installed and working, it took me 2 hours, it would have been quicker, but my Dremel tool died and I was being slow and careful with the install.

After I completed the installation, I found in the documentation that the stock Amp/Volt meter would no longer work. There is a white terminal on the Boss alternator that is not used. Has anyone figured out how to rewire the stock Amp/Volt meter in the Mustang to work with the upgraded Boss Alternator?

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

did you use the stock wiring, or did it upgrade you to the 4gauge wire? either way, try a search for 3g alternator and it will help you immensly. for now i can tell you that there is a white (i think its white) wire in the stock wiring harness for the stator, splice into that and use a small female spade connector (or the proper plug from a 3g unit) and everything should work.

Daggar used to have some good info on the 4 eyed alternator swaps. I might try to find some of that info (it might have been lost in the Crash) or shoot Andy a PM.

Good luck.

The current output of the alternator exceeds the rating of the ammeter. Use a voltmeter to monitor the new alternator's output. Use a fused 4 gauge power wire and add a 4 gauge auxiliary power ground.

attachment.php

Thanks for the information. The stock AMP meter is reading a slight discharge all the time, with the headlights + Driving lights ON it jumps further into the negative. With my Handheld Volt meter I am reading over 14 Volts at the battery though.

I used to have a JCWhittney LCD Clock/Volt meter laying around somewhere, I'll try to find and install it.

Thanks,
Sam