1987 foxbody upper end build questions

Im trying to get some tips on what I should be doing meaning like what parts work with what. im 20 building my first mustang. I'm going to carburetor swap, intake, heads, cam, timing chain, distributor, a/c delete, headers. If anyone has any good builds they could give me any ideas on itd be much appreciated. Looking for 350-400 hp trying

• Sponsors (?)

The #1 question is always 'what are you building the car for? Race track, drag car or road race take different directions, fair ground cruiser (show car) or daily driver.
Notice I didn't add street/strip to the list because everybody says that and there are different levels of street/strip.
The #2 question is why ditch the efi? I ask this because, in my opinion it is easier to build a 350-400 hp car with efi that is streetable than a carb car but that is my opion.

My goal is too daily drive it during the summer, and I only ditched efi because i broke all the connectors for everything when I took the old intake off so my dad said itd be better too just run carb now instead of rerunning wires.. just easier basically since I messed up. I'm going to have to eliminate wires now from main harness but I don't know which ones either

I would repair or replace those connections and run EFI, personally. I think it would be easier to do that then set up and run a carb.

Last edited:
Alright thanks for the help I'm gonna sleep on it for alittle bit. because if yall think it's easier to just run new wiring harness then redoing everything for carb setup I just might do it that way, good link too really helpful

Reactions: 1 user
The #1 question is always 'what are you building the car for? Race track, drag car or road race take different directions, fair ground cruiser (show car) or daily driver.
Notice I didn't add street/strip to the list because everybody says that and there are different levels of street/strip.
The #2 question is why ditch the efi? I ask this because, in my opinion it is easier to build a 350-400 hp car with efi that is streetable than a carb car but that is my opion.
Spot on advice. Regardless of any other decision on the car, I would not ditch the EFI. Also since you are just starting out take advice from those of us that have at one point or another wasted money on mismatched parts. Like Boosted said, get parts that are matched and work well together the first time. You can build on those parts and not have to sell them for half and buy the parts you should have bought in the first place. Good luck and keep us posted on what you are doing.