Engine 1987 GT surging and dies when trying to start

LASAR

Sep 7, 2013
1987 GT was my son's first car. He's 33 now so we've had it a while.
It sat in the garage for the last ten years.
Have replaced injectors, MAP sensor, air charge temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, and egr valve.
Car surges and dies when we try to start it.
Take about 5 minutes of cranking and playing with the accelerator to get it to run without dying,
Even then it took a while to smooth out. When out on the highway and ran good for about 2 miles and started running bad.
Just made it home. Was still surging. Seemed like it ran better if I kept it at 2500-3000 RPM.
Only codes are 41, 91, and 82 but these seem related to emissions.
Another strange thing is that after idling it at 2500-3000 RPM it would idle down to around 1500 RPM until I pushed the clutch in, then it dropped down.
I can usually figure out how to fix stuff on my '56 Country Sedan, but trying to figure out all this "new" stuff quite a challenge.

• Sponsors (?)

lets figure that after sitting that long you have changed the stuff like plugs, wires and checked for cridders in the filter box, drain the old fuel and changed the fuel filter. And of course that stale air in them tires too :jester:
If you have problems with surging, rough idle and stalling there is a checklist for that: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=698148
Read over the list, get familiar with it, gather up your tools and dig in, it was put together by jrichker and he is glad to help. Don't skip around, do it step by step, it will save you time and money. there are other helpful stuff in the fox tech/how to thread from brake upgrades to engine swaps, if you get stuck the members will help you.

lets figure that after sitting that long you have changed the stuff like plugs, wires and checked for cridders in the filter box, drain the old fuel and changed the fuel filter. And of course that stale air in them tires too :jester:
If you have problems with surging, rough idle and stalling there is a checklist for that: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=698148
Read over the list, get familiar with it, gather up your tools and dig in, it was put together by jrichker and he is glad to help. Don't skip around, do it step by step, it will save you time and money. there are other helpful stuff in the fox tech/how to thread from brake upgrades to engine swaps, if you get stuck the members will help you.

Thanks. Looks like good plan. Just hope the old brain cells can comprehend it all. If not, I know where to find help.

Reactions: 1 user