1988 Ford Ranger 5.0 (1989 Mustang GT)

Hey Mustang Boys,

I am currently in the midst of a special 5.0 Ranger buildup. I have a few questions about the 1989 Mustang setup and some concerns and obstacles to overcome.

My object is to convert my aging 2.0L 200,000 + mile truck into a mustang powered Ranger. Here is what I have done so far.

Donor engine is from a 1988 Ford Econoline ClubWagon!
1985 1/2 and up 5.0L blocks were identical - lifter bores can except roller lifters (machined) plus if there are two bosses in the valley

Stripped the engine of its speed density links to convert to mass air.
Removed Flat Tappet cam and lifters (1542.....Firing order)
Removed all pushrods too long from new lifters.
...basically tear most of the stuff not needed.

Convert to roller lifter :
Drilled and tapped the block (bosses in the valley)
Installed Ford Racing E303 Cam (1372.... Firing Order)
Installed Roller Lifter Retainer Bar
Installed Ford Racing Roller Lifters
Replaced stock 6.9" pushrods with mustang 6.25" pushrods

Installed all mustang components on block
Installed High flow oil pump.
Installed lower intake from a 1994 stang (no provision for ACT or WRTN)
Installed Upper intake from a 1989 mustang
Installed Alt/Pump bracket and devices.

I Will be using a 1989 mustang gt harness and computer. Plus all associated sensors and such.

Issues :

I am using a 1989 Upper intake on a 1994 lower intake. As some know the 1994/95 lower doesn't have the ACT hole drilled out and the coolant return from the egr spacer is not drilled. I already have the intake installed and torqued so I don't want to remove it to drill and tap. So can I move the ACT sensor to another spot (perhaps like the 94/95 location) and I think I can put the return for the coolant another place but not sure. Plus if you any input on the matter please post. This transpant should happen soon.

Regards,

Enigma88

• Sponsors (?)

I to have an 5.0 ranger. Mine is an 86. I didnt go thru all that you did. I took all the fuel injection stuff off and put on a air gap intake with 600cfm edlebrock carb. I didnt have the car the engine came out of, all I had was the engine. Good luck with your build up, they are fun to drive and sure turn heads when people see such a little truck V8 powered.

Sounds like a cool project :nice:

If it were me I would install the ACT in the stock (per the computer) location. The computer will be using the ACT data as if the ACT were in the intake.
That probably made no sense.
Think of it this way, the computer is calibrated for use with an ACT in the intake. Moving the ACT to a cooler location (as was done on sn95s) will throw off this calibration.
That is not really what is happening, but it makes the point. :p

jason

enigma88 said:
So can I move the ACT sensor to another spot (perhaps like the 94/95 location)

yes. you can install the ACT somewhere else (intake tube or airbox). this is not ideal, but the only downside is that the ECM might advance timing a bit more and it will run slightly richer (due to the cooler reading).