Engine 1988 Lx 2.3

• Sponsors (?)

The ignition switch is a common problem on these cars and can cause a lot of issues, including what you are describing. I would start there - often inspecting it shows that it has been overheating.

If it is not that you have an electrical problem. You will need to drop the tank and probe the wires. I can’t tell you what is what without the specific diagram and sometimes wire colors change throughout the years.

Start with that ignition switch though.

The ignition switch is a common problem on these cars and can cause a lot of issues, including what you are describing. I would start there - often inspecting it shows that it has been overheating.

If it is not that you have an electrical problem. You will need to drop the tank and probe the wires. I can’t tell you what is what without the specific diagram and sometimes wire colors change throughout the years.

Start with that ignition switch though.
Never would have thought of that. I will give it a shot. Thank you

How can you tell if ignition switch is bad? It looks like it's been replaced, not an original Ford one.

It is not always obvious. Any signs of burning or cracking of the case means immediate replacement.

They are so cheap to replace and such a common problem that it isn’t usually worth a lot of investigation. If it doesn’t fix your problem you have some fire hazard insurance if nothing else.