• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • Fox Engine Swaparoo

1989 5.0 swap into 1981 Mercury Capri Build

  • Thread starter Thread starter 51Hudson
  • Start date Start date May 30, 2018
5

51Hudson

New Member
May 30, 2018
1
0
1
North Dakota
May 30, 2018
#1
  • May 30, 2018
  • #1
Hey, All

Like the post title says, I'm looking to swap a 5.0 from a 89' stang into a Capri. Do not worry the stang that's giving up its 5.0, T5, and 8.8 was side swiped, it was hit so badly you could barely get the ecu out since it was practically a part of the heater core. The ecu looks fine... I pulled it apart and the circuit board isn't broken, and all of the connections look clean.

I know that the 81's didn't have an ecu, or at least I don't think that they did. Is this a doable swap, I imagine its not a simple plug and play but with hooking up the correct wiring, and wiring it into the factory harness could it work. If not I'll switch panel the whole thing. The Capri that's pretty clean cost me $200.00 it wouldn't be too much of a loss. The 5.0 and T5 was $400.00, and the 8.8 and some rims were to the tune of $250.00 so I am already in the car short of a grand which isn't bad considering a 83 Mustang is for sale near me is 3500. I think I'm not getting burned too badly.

I have no idea about Mustangs to be quite honest with you guys. I have a 51' Hudson 63' Dodge D100. And swapped a 440 that was supposed to go into my 63' but it went into a 73 Cuda' I found for my dad out in Wisco. I'm a mopar guy but I can't afford half the stuff that's out there, and the "barn finds" they think they have literal gold. I walked around a junk yard that I am friends of the owner and we came to a deal on the car and parts.

How hard is it going to be to swap the parts over? I assume that the engine and trans will be a bolt in, robbing the 89' of its trans cross member. I would like to keep the engine fuel injected as I daily all the stuff I have at least once a week. So ease of starting would be a plus at -10 the Hudson won't start but the 225 in my 63' will. The Cuda' doesn't count as I don't own it, and I built the engine with an efi set-up so it does alright in the winter.

For the rear end I know that the 8.8 is the better option for the 5.0, and I will have to weld in the brackets for the horizontal shocks on the frame. But I was looking for a cheap muscle car that I could work on the engine a little bit. cam, intake, injectors, heads, throttle body, clutch get it to be a bit of a sleeper. And settled on the Capri as you don't see many around compared to the amount of mustangs you find.

Again I'm not a mustang guy so forgive me for my ignorance.

Thanks, Paul
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,048
10,671
213
polk county florida
May 31, 2018
#2
  • May 31, 2018
  • #2
Sounds like you already know you way around a tool box with the projects you've done, I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I need to move it or hit up some of our other members that can help you. I sure the capri mechanics and wiring are the same as similar year mustangs with only body parts being unique and rare I might add, thanks for saving this example of the mercury marquee. I sure your car came with a carburetor and you are wanting to install efi is exciting, they make a efi harness that is a plug and play replacement for the fox platform and I'll get you a link if you can't find it.
welcome to stangnet. Now post some pics and keep us updated on your progress in this thread.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
SOLD 1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 5-speed
  • blackmerc
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
16
Views
807
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Aug 24, 2026
General karthief
N
Looking for ECU/CHIP for 1992 5.0
  • Nathan26
  • Saturday at 7:26 PM
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
110
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Yesterday at 12:53 PM
fasterthangas
F
B
Stuck
  • bshipley
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
107
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 28, 2026
squeak93
C
Help with manual conversion
  • CPH89LX
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
455
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 27, 2026
2000xp8
Electrical Code 29 again
  • Creomod
  • Jul 31, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
271
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 3, 2026
Creomod
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • Fox Engine Swaparoo
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?