1989 Backseat Seatbelt Bolt Stripped

Kyrstyn Riley

Jun 18, 2017
Looking for help on solving a problem! We got all but one seat belt t50 bolt removed. The bolt is stripped out. We have tried welding a nut to the bolt but that broke off too. It's hard to get to since it's in such an awkward angle for the backseat. We are desperate and ready to put in new interior but cannot figure out how to get this bolt off. Any advice?!?

Attachments

• IMG_4493.JPG
    IMG_4493.JPG
    777.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Sponsors (?)

The best advice I can give is to get an easy out. ( screw extractor )
images.jpg

Drill a hole about 1/4 to 3/8 into the bolt. Tap the easy out into the drilled hole with a hammer....clamp locking pliers on it tight and turn it. The bottom of the screw should poke out a little at the bottom of the floor pan. I'd soak it with PB blaster or WD40. I wouldn't spray the head of the bolt. That could aid the extractor to slip.

A torch can also help get the bolt out by heating it. The downfall to that is the sound deadener is flammable and the undercoating under the car can also burn. If you must use heat keep a turned on hose ready.

A 16oz beer is not enough to put out a fire :nonono:

Reactions: 1 user
Thats a bad deal, those are hard to get out if they get stripped, maybe get under the car and clean the threads that extend past the nut plate, then grab the head with a pair of channel locks, wiggle back and forth and wacking it with a hammer may also help, use pb blaster on the exposed threads under the car too, you could try heating it from underneath also just be mindful of undercoating, it will burn,

Reactions: 1 user
Those bolts are tough for a reason. If they stick, they are nearly impossible to get out. You might be able to drill it out, but you'll use up a lot of expensive bits. I'd prob take a grinder to the head, and then drill the shaft. Of course, using a grinder in the car all depends on how much interior is in there now

Reactions: 1 users