1989 Convertible top issues

mustangfiveo198

Founding Member
May 20, 2002
Driving my STANG
My convertible top has been getting slower and slower coming up. Pretty much got to reach back and pull it up myself. I checked the fluid. It’s full.
It goes down perfectly. But coming up is a whole different story. Do I need a new motor? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a video some of us ford masters had to watch and learn
It is Convertible Top Water Leak Diagnosis
VHS is hard to watch these days but if you have trouble this is where to start
It goes thru every adjustment , windows and top
Tough work
Be proud of yourself if you ever have to fix one

Convertible top video.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Food for thought, I replaced the whole system on my 89 last fall, the motor had a dead spot but the whole system was original. Got it off ebay from Hydro-E-lectric for about $569, wasn't too bad a job. If your system is original I'd just replace the whole works- pump, lines, cylinders. You'll probably start having other problems.

Food for thought, I replaced the whole system on my 89 last fall, the motor had a dead spot but the whole system was original. Got it off ebay from Hydro-E-lectric for about $569, wasn't too bad a job. If your system is original I'd just replace the whole works- pump, lines, cylinders. You'll probably start having other problems.

This is great advice..

I had a friend that just did the lift cylinders and all the dirt and debris was still in the lines/pump and the pump spun but pressure wasnt ideal then as he dealt with it being better than it was with the herky jerky lift action from the strain from the rusty pivot folding points plus the debris still in the system slowly killed the lifters again and then he realized that it would be better to replace the whole system after we cut the plastic line and press fitted a barbed fitting w/1/8" npt port and read the lift pressure with a fuel pressure tester gauge........We plugged the port and took it to the top guy that specializes in convertible tops...

Lock stock n barrel brand new top with rebuilt frame nice tight sealed up nice and working great costed him $2000.00 with state tax and worth every penny...They even put in a brand new wiring harness with switch too..

If youre dead set on doing the cheaper fix first Id flush the system out plus do a pressure test with a pressure tester to make sure the pump is within specs and the top folds and unfolds freely and evenly with lifters disconnected..

Good Luck

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user