Fox 1989 GT wiring

Exrace89GT

Mar 29, 2019
Lompoc, CA
New guy here, be easy on me. I bought a 1989 GT ex race car and trying to put it back on the street. It has a nice body and interior. Anyway the PO cut out all the wiring for the headlights and alternator in the engine compartment. I bought a 1990 GT Parts car and want to use the wiring from it. I have been told that I can’t because 1990’s have air bags and 1989 don’t. So my question is what can I use off of the ‘90?

• Sponsors (?)

The harnesses are different. You'd need good writing schematics for both cars...check out veryuseful.com.

You'll have to label every wire on both harnesses at the power booster and remove or swap pins as needed.

Is this car going to be fuel injected or carburated ?

New guy here, be easy on me. I bought a 1989 GT ex race car and trying to put it back on the street. It has a nice body and interior. Anyway the PO cut out all the wiring for the headlights and alternator in the engine compartment. I bought a 1990 GT Parts car and want to use the wiring from it. I have been told that I can’t because 1990’s have air bags and 1989 don’t. So my question is what can I use off of the ‘90?
If you can't find an '89 harness, your only option to use the '90 harness would be as 90sickfox said.

Your best bet would be to purchase an EVTM for the '89 and '90 model years and swap/re-pin as necessary.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Since I live in Calif. it’s going to be injected and smog complient. I have a 1989 factory Ford wiring diagram for the complete car.
Guess I’ll have to get one for a 1990. If I have any problems I’ll be back here asking questions.

Would you consider a progress thread here and document the work? We will require pics and witty commentary
Members here will follow and help you along the way as I'm sure there will be more questions and you may even get an 'honorable mention' in the technical/how to hall of fame!

You could also sell the entire wiring from the 90 and use that money to pickup a clean 89 main harness and head light harness and plug them in and move on to the next hurdle