1989 Mustang 5.0, Sputters and Smokes at High RPM

roadrunner_taz

Apr 29, 2008
I have a 89 5.0. Mods are: aluminum heads, rockers, headers, 75MM TB, Fuel pressure regulator, 190 lphr fuel pump, hypertech chip, 373 gears.

My question is my care runs great under normal conditions but when I really get on it and put it to the floor it feels like a sputtering or no power at about 4000 RPM. I notice this a little in 3rd gear but it is really bad in 4th gear. If I let up on the throttle say 3/4 throttle I actually will have more power then if it is all the way to the floor. Also when it bogs down like this I notice white/blue smoke coming out the exhaust and can smell that it is burning oil.

I initially thought it was a lack of fuel problem so I added the bigger fuel pump and changed the filter. This did not help. Engine is not pinging but I decided to try to set my timing from 14 and to about 10 and that did not help. I had put in new plugs and wires when I put my heads on so they are pretty new.

This is a new problem that just started so it is not from the new head install. I also checked my head gasket and that is not the problem. Please Help!!!

• Sponsors (?)

i have had white smoke come from my tailpipes and that means blown head gasket in most cases... its burning antifreez..

i HOPE i never see blue smoke because that more often than not is an indication of oil burning in your combustion chamber:notnice:

your problem under WOT seems like mine when i had my nitrous jets in vice versa... meaning too much fuel and not enough n2o to burn well.

i switched the jets and it ran like a bat out of hell.... i think your getting too much fuel in there some how.... but i dont know how. what size injectors??

eric

i had the same problem with the breaking up around 400 rpm,, try using the brass cap and rotor,,, that was my problem... i had swapped the rotor cap from my brass one to the aluminum one because thats what i had sitting around and the brasss one was bad,,,, took it out for a drive and it would break up @ or around 4g's.. i went straight out and bought the brass one again and it would run up to 6g's without a problem .. try that out i think it will take care of your issue