• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

1989 Mustang GT stalls.

  • Thread starter Thread starter David Pedersen
  • Start date Start date Jul 28, 2018
D

David Pedersen

New Member
Jul 28, 2018
1
0
1
Spring, TX
Jul 28, 2018
#1
  • Jul 28, 2018
  • #1
Good Morning, I'm the original owner of my '89 GT. I have 265k miles on it. Within the last year, it seems to stall intermittently, at intersections, it just dies. I'm able to restart the engine by key or by dumping the clutch, while its rolling. This problem is intermittent, and happens when the engine is hot or cold. No fault codes registered, good fuel pressure, good spark. Any suggestions on resolving this issue? Thanks, DGP
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,684
213
polk county florida
Jul 28, 2018
#2
  • Jul 28, 2018
  • #2
I know, bit you don't have a surging idle, humor me, go through this list step by step and it will help you resolve the stalling problem
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=698148
And congrats on the 265k mile gt. Got any pics?
 
N

NapaMark

New Member
Oct 3, 2018
1
0
1
Marietta, Georgia
Oct 3, 2018
#3
  • Oct 3, 2018
  • #3
David Pedersen said:
Good Morning, I'm the original owner of my '89 GT. I have 265k miles on it. Within the last year, it seems to stall intermittently, at intersections, it just dies. I'm able to restart the engine by key or by dumping the clutch, while its rolling. This problem is intermittent, and happens when the engine is hot or cold. No fault codes registered, good fuel pressure, good spark. Any suggestions on resolving this issue? Thanks, DGP
Click to expand...
David, I have an 87 that I also bought new. Now has 306k on it. Having same exact problem. when it first started we determined it to be mainly caused by the electronic ignition module on the distributor. This seems to be the most common culprit. I moved on and also changed the starter switch and replaced it's cracked and damaged clip. Recently a new battery (old one had a loose positive post) seemed to be the final link, but it stalled this morning on the way to work 4 or 5 times then no more the rest of the day! I'm about to replace starter solenoid, ignition coil (with an MSD), and put an original Ford Elec. Ign. Module in it again. Starter and distributor are both pretty new. Did you have any luck? One question: Mine has a small circuit breaker attached to the starter solenoid with a ground wire running down to the starter I believe. It looks very old. Do you know the amperage of that breaker? Mark
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Oct 4, 2018
#4
  • Oct 4, 2018
  • #4
NapaMark said:
David, I have an 87 that I also bought new. Now has 306k on it. Having same exact problem. when it first started we determined it to be mainly caused by the electronic ignition module on the distributor. This seems to be the most common culprit. I moved on and also changed the starter switch and replaced it's cracked and damaged clip. Recently a new battery (old one had a loose positive post) seemed to be the final link, but it stalled this morning on the way to work 4 or 5 times then no more the rest of the day! I'm about to replace starter solenoid, ignition coil (with an MSD), and put an original Ford Elec. Ign. Module in it again. Starter and distributor are both pretty new. Did you have any luck? One question: Mine has a small circuit breaker attached to the starter solenoid with a ground wire running down to the starter I believe. It looks very old. Do you know the amperage of that breaker? Mark
Click to expand...
The circuit breaker is for the power door locks.
Starter solenoid wiring for 86-91 Mustang



You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix.

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

I
98 Mustang GT dying
  • ItsMason
  • May 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
195
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 25, 2026
lenzgt
L
E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
261
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
manicmechanic007
I
Engine Help requested in identifying how to resolve engine light issue
  • Ianslaney
  • Sunday at 2:23 PM
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
67
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sunday at 2:40 PM
Bullitt347
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
543
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
F
2004 Mustang GT – Fuel Pump Not Priming
  • Fayio
  • Apr 22, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
440
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 27, 2026
n0v8or
N
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?