1989 Mustang GT stalls.

Good Morning, I'm the original owner of my '89 GT. I have 265k miles on it. Within the last year, it seems to stall intermittently, at intersections, it just dies. I'm able to restart the engine by key or by dumping the clutch, while its rolling. This problem is intermittent, and happens when the engine is hot or cold. No fault codes registered, good fuel pressure, good spark. Any suggestions on resolving this issue? Thanks, DGP

• Sponsors (?)

Good Morning, I'm the original owner of my '89 GT. I have 265k miles on it. Within the last year, it seems to stall intermittently, at intersections, it just dies. I'm able to restart the engine by key or by dumping the clutch, while its rolling. This problem is intermittent, and happens when the engine is hot or cold. No fault codes registered, good fuel pressure, good spark. Any suggestions on resolving this issue? Thanks, DGP
David, I have an 87 that I also bought new. Now has 306k on it. Having same exact problem. when it first started we determined it to be mainly caused by the electronic ignition module on the distributor. This seems to be the most common culprit. I moved on and also changed the starter switch and replaced it's cracked and damaged clip. Recently a new battery (old one had a loose positive post) seemed to be the final link, but it stalled this morning on the way to work 4 or 5 times then no more the rest of the day! I'm about to replace starter solenoid, ignition coil (with an MSD), and put an original Ford Elec. Ign. Module in it again. Starter and distributor are both pretty new. Did you have any luck? One question: Mine has a small circuit breaker attached to the starter solenoid with a ground wire running down to the starter I believe. It looks very old. Do you know the amperage of that breaker? Mark

David, I have an 87 that I also bought new. Now has 306k on it. Having same exact problem. when it first started we determined it to be mainly caused by the electronic ignition module on the distributor. This seems to be the most common culprit. I moved on and also changed the starter switch and replaced it's cracked and damaged clip. Recently a new battery (old one had a loose positive post) seemed to be the final link, but it stalled this morning on the way to work 4 or 5 times then no more the rest of the day! I'm about to replace starter solenoid, ignition coil (with an MSD), and put an original Ford Elec. Ign. Module in it again. Starter and distributor are both pretty new. Did you have any luck? One question: Mine has a small circuit breaker attached to the starter solenoid with a ground wire running down to the starter I believe. It looks very old. Do you know the amperage of that breaker? Mark
The circuit breaker is for the power door locks.
Starter solenoid wiring for 86-91 Mustang
attachments\52294

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.