Drivetrain 1990 AOD TV Pressure Question, Please

markinms

5 Year Member
Mar 1, 2018
Columbus MS
I did a preliminary manual AOD TV Cable adjustment as seen in numerous internet posts. Been driving it this way for a while but have noticed some minor slipping starting to happen.

Finally hooked up a pressure gauge to the TV pressure port and was surprised by the results,

Idling in park, TV pressure was 15 - 25 psi. Idling in neutral TV pressure was 10 15 psi. Haven't checked pressure with the adjustment block yet as pressure is already so high.

How do I adjust the TV cable to reduce pressure? Do I slide the moving locking adjustment block forward or backwards? Should it have more or less slack?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

Thanks for the reply.

This time before testing TV pressure, I adjusted curb idle speed, confirmed timing, checked TPS setting, etc.. Then slightly adjusted the TV Cable to give it a bit more slack.

Now at idle TV pressure is 2-3 psi. When I use the TV pressure adjustment tool, pressure is up around 38-40 psi, not 30 psi as the manual says it should be. I have read that TV pressure can bee be between 30 - 40 psi; what do you think? Also read conflicting procedures; some say vehicle should be idling in Park while others say vehicle should be idling in Neutral. Any thoughts on this?

I can add a bit more slack in the cable which would probably bring the idle TV pressure near 0 psi and with the adjustment tool, bring pressure down closer to 30 psi.

Any thoughts/ideas/feedback is appreciated.

Mark

I wouldn’t worry about pressure being slightly higher. That shouldn’t hurt anything. But if the pressure is lower than normal, that can hurt internal parts